904 trans

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
Been looking for 904 cores for a small block drag car. Cant find any locally most people dont want to ship. My question is are the late 60s trans good, what upgrades do they need. I see mostly 1968 to early 70s if i find them. I have lots of 727s but having a hard time finding 904s.

The guy I'm buying my 318 from is going to be selling his 904. He's in norcal too. I'll tell him.

Been looking for 904 cores for a small block drag car. Cant find any locally most people dont want to ship. My question is are the late 60s trans good, what upgrades do they need. I see mostly 1968 to early 70s if i find them. I have lots of 727s but having a hard time finding 904s.
I think I have a 904 I got for free when i bought my car, let me see. not sure if it is for a small block though.

I have a very good 904 I an in bayarea California. Has been gone through. But I am going install BB and 727. No need for 904

You need one that came with the part throttle kickdown that extends past the rear servo fluid hole. There are two different cases in the mid/early seventies. I get them in all the time that the vb came from a diff trans. Sometimes the parts can't be made to be compatible.

I thought part throttle kickdown was an extra valve on the valve body. I just installed one on my 727. This is to be a Drag only trans and running a manual valve body.

if you know anyone travelling thru northern bc i have one from a 71 challenger. a long shot i know

My transmission is complete. Just pulled out my running car. PM if you want it.

It is an added valve, but they usually also changed the vb casting where it bolts to the case and also the case in that same area. Mix them up and the trans will still "work".

I've run 904s since 1999. JW Transmissions always built them. Don't know of any little "tricks" or other detail, but some parts used included the typical reverse manual valve body, 4.2 lever, 2.74 low gear, "red" clutches and deep pan & p/u w/magnets.

A knowledgeable Torqueflight mechanic should know how to swap the low gear set from a later 904, which is often a lock-up trans, to a regular older 904. Level of benefit of a low gear set depends on the car weight and engine combo.

-
Back