904 transmission

-

Jurrami

Reaction score
I recently took a trip with my car 260+ miles across the state. I noticed a few things different after this trip. Now the transmission will not shift out of park. The top part is very loose but I don't see that as the problem. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

It's a 904

The top of the shifter. Where the button is that whole piece is very loose. I did manage to tighett it, but still it won't shift.

Look you need to get specific. Let's start by what kind of car you drive. Year make model

And "what" shifter? Part of the transmission? Console? Column? From what you said this almost sounds like a push button?

YOU MEAN THE KNOB ON THE CONSOLE SHIFT LEVER????!??!??!?!?

Is that what?

MD4010.jpg

Right out of the factory service manual..............notice the set screw..............

console.jpg

Last edited:
Look you need to get specific. Let's start by what kind of car you drive. Year make model

And "what" shifter? Part of the transmission? Console? Column? From what you said this almost sounds like a push button?

YOU MEAN THE KNOB ON THE CONSOLE SHIFT LEVER????!??!??!?!?

Is that what?

View attachment 1715193724

Right out of the factory service manual..............notice the set screw..............

View attachment 1715193726
Appreciate the diagram in helping clarify the parts. The knob is loose. The set screw appears to be broken. Now would that prevent the car from shifting altogether?

This is a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda

Yes it would. Can u turn the button clockwise? U may have to push the button down to turn it. I’m pretty sure u will have to loosen the set screw in the nob. It may take a few turns to get it to shift. Kim

Yes it would. Can u turn the button clockwise? U may have to push the button down to turn it. I’m pretty sure u will have to loosen the set screw in the nob. It may take a few turns to get it to shift. Kim
I was able to tighten the set screw and now that part is secure. I still have an issue of having to push the shifter to the left and then down towards me to get it into gear. The center console is pretty loose so my next task is tightening that up and hopefully I can shift without doing that trick

It definitely sounds like the problem is with the linkage which should come as very good news, IMO.

I don't see how the console being loose would be to blame as the shifter is secured through the mounting legs. First, I would remove that set screw (put it in a baggie and bring it with you to the hardware store) and get a new matching one along with some Loctite.

Then I would remove the console and make sure the shifter assembly is not loose.

I don't have a console car so I'm not certain but you may need to pull the carpet back in order to see everything.

If everything checks out, put the car safely up on some ramps and follow the shifter linkage and see if there's excessive play in any of the links. It's a pretty simple design so I imagine that it would be easy to spot.

If that all checks out, I would remove the linkage all together and see if you're able to move the transmission through the P/R/N/D/2/1 by hand. It should click from one position to the next without too much force.

-
Back