'92 F150 Digital odo gone haywire

-

Slantsick

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Kind of a long shot, but I know a few of you guys own /owned Ford trucks in the same age-range as mine, so maybe one of you guys has experienced something similiar..

OK- basically, a few months ago I glanced down at the F150's odo, which read 261,8xx. A week later, it read 261,6xx. I figured I probably read it wrong, and the "8" was actually a "3". (The coating or whatever on the inside of the odo "lens" is disintegrating in this area, makes it hard to read during the day.) So anyway, next day I'm actually watching it out of the corner of my eye as it reads 261,699- and proceeds to 261,000 even, rather than 700.
confused.gif
Since then, I haven't paid close attention to it, but I know it's done this sort of thing several times when I wasn't looking, and now reads 264 thousand and some-odd, when my rough calculations place the actual mileage around 268 to 270K. This ringing a bell with anybody? Can it be fixed without a big hassle/expense?

Just mentioning this real quick, to get the dash out, it takes alot of work and can be a real pain. But it is worth it just to know when to service and for resale purposes. Is it analog or digital?

"Service"? "Resale"? :sign5: She should get more "service" than she does, but we're not selling her under any circumstances.. when this truck finally gives up the ghost in a non-repairable way, she's welcome to quietly rot away in the front yard until she completely disintegrates- I'm not gonna insult her dignity by sending her to the junkyard to be crushed and recycled like some kind of Hyundai.

No way am I pulling the dash out, no matter what. I was kinda hoping that it would be something like a faulty sensor attached to the tranny, but really I'm not too worried. All the other gauges (analog) function more or less normally.

I have a 92 and a 93 and I parted out 5 trucks in the last 2 years, I think I have a couple extra gauge clusters left if you are interested. They are pretty easy to get out, the black trim around the gauges has a couple screws under those 2 trim pieces and then just a couple clips and light switch knob.

-
Back