93 Dodge Dakota 8.25 Gear Swap

-

MagnumDakota

Reaction score
I have a 93 Dodge Dakota with a factory 8.25 rear with 3.55 gears. I would like to swap the gears to 4.10 or 4.56.... would go with 4.30 but not sure if they make 4.30 for a 8.25 rear. My question is what am I looking at price wise if I was to have this done?? Just a gear swap. Im located about 40 miles west of Cleveland so if somebody knows a good shop let me know... I have changed the center sections in a 8.75 rear before but have never messed with a 8.25 rear before. I have read these can be hard to change gears... have to set them up properly etc... Not sure I have the knowledge to do that correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would pay to have it done just want a idea on the costs.

They can be a little frustrating but, doable with a dial indicator. I'm guessing your going to change the pinion bearing. Grind the old one out so you can slide it on/off when trying shims. The last two I did both took a .003 shim to get it right. I have 4.56 in my Dakota and wish I went with 4.10 only because the rpms run high on the highway.

Ratech makes a new type of crush sleeve that is said to be a lot more installation friendly, but do like my5th says and grind out the bearing to make setup easier and go with the Ratech solid spacer crush sleeve eliminator and shim kit. This will prevent the "Chrysler Clunk" when the crush sleeve starts to get a little slop in it over time. The tool to set the side load adjusters is a little pricey but this is a good video showing how to make one and will help you familiarize yourself with it before doing it.

Thanks for the tips. Im still not sure I would b comfortable doing this swap. Plus I dont have all the proper tools to do it. Was just wondering what a gear swap would run.... I may end up doing it myself though.

I learned these rear ends because I used to have a spare out of an early 70s van I tore down for parts, if you have access to a junk one to tear down and study it will help you build confidence.

If the axel is out of the vehicle so that you can just carry it into a shop to have the work done you're probably looking at $250.
If the rear housing is still under the vehicle you could go is high as $500.
That's labor not Parts included.
But I would put the crush sleeve Eliminator in it.
Also you must remember when you go to a deeper gear you have to Notch the shaft in the Sure Grip unit so that you could get the c-clips in.
They used to make 430 gears for the 8 and a quarter.

I swapped the 3.07s for 3.55s in the 8.25 in my Jeep, later I did the opposite swap for an 8.25 I swapped into an M-body. It is MUCH easier with the axle assembly out of the vehicle but the basics are the same as an 8.75".

I made a side-thrust adjusting tool by welding a big hex nut to a deep 1" socket then just used some long socket extensions to get it down the axle tube.

IMO if you have the money it might be worth having a shop do it unless you have a lift and lots of time to spare.

-
Back