95 318 magnum install

-

chryslerfat

Reaction score
What is needed to put a 95 Dodge 318 Magnum in an early a with a 4 speed? I have the correct motor mounts and an overdrive 4 speed with bellhousing but nothing else for the conversion from 273 to Magnum.

I dont have all your answers, but I do know a few of them.

Car oil pan assuming the 318 is from a truck.

You might want an early A bell housing - they are smaller, the dog houses on the early A's are smaller than the later A's. For instance when installing a 727 in a 66 and older A you need to remove or beat flat the pinch weld in the doghouse, I am not sure about manual bell housings, it depends on whether you are willing to do this to your car in order to use the later model stuff you have (if neccessary). If you do get the old bell housing keep in mind the overdrive bearing register wont fit in it - the over drive 4spds use a very large front bearing retainer. You might be able to machine that down to the correct size. You will also need a smaller flywheel to match the older bell housing.

Clutch/brake pedal assembly,

exhaust manifolds for a 273 or shortie headers from spitfire, if you go with the headers route you'll need to install manual steering to clear them.

exh system

22inch radiator minimum with adequate fan capacity (and hopefully a shroud).

Thottle linkage for v8 (assuming this is a slant car)

Possibly a dropped v8 centerlink on the steering - if yours is straight across from the idler to the pitman arm you need one, some later (65-66) slant cars had them.

driveshaft

Brake upgrade to dual master and discs on the front - for safe operation (assuming you have drum brakes)

larger rear axle, 8 1/4 minimum or 8 3/4 (preferred)

early a 3/4spd shifter floor hump sheetmetal and boot, carpeting.

You can get an AL intake that will take a single 4 bbl. If you want to use the fuel injection stuff you'll have alot more to do, beyond the scope of this format. Take a look at mopar action's website - they did a fuelie conversion on an early B body in the last 2-3 years -they should have all the details in back issues of their magazine on line.

Thats for the input my main concearns are the crank register for a pilot bearing. The car was a 273 4 speed so it has most needed items like the driveshaft, motor mounts etc. I will need to figure what I am doing for exhaust and weather I am going carb or injection. I dont think I can run injection without a speed sensor though. Thing is I got the car priced right and the truck was onlt 70 bucks with a rebuilt motor. It will be a project I dont plan on rushing.

Are you talking about the 66 in your avatar? I think the 66 & later transmissions used the later style speedometer drive setup. If you you have the later style speedometer drive and go with EFI & need a speed sensor there is a factory part that lets you use a cable driven speedo & also has the hookup for the speed sensor wires. I believe it's a truck part. I could probably find the part number if you end up needing it.

Are you talking about the 66 in your avatar? I think the 66 & later transmissions used the later style speedometer drive setup. If you you have the later style speedometer drive and go with EFI & need a speed sensor there is a factory part that lets you use a cable driven speedo & also has the hookup for the speed sensor wires. I believe it's a truck part. I could probably find the part number if you end up needing it.

That is some good info. It will be in the one 65 that I got to put together. I will be using a 66 cable and the tranny is a 76 so that should word if I decide to go injection. Heck for all I know that part may be on the 95 OD auto tranny that is in the truck as I still have it in 1 piece minus the cab. I think a 4 speed OD with the 318 mag would make a nice daily driver and good on gas as long as I dont drop the clutch and tear out the 7 1/4 rear. I have not checked but I was told that the car still has the sure-grip in it as it still has the sway bar on it. I have 2 other spare rears if needed. To inject it I will need to save the O2 sensors and bungs to weld in the new exhaust. It is missing the ECM and it looks like the whole harness is still on the engine.

Before I read the links I was thinking that someone must have devised a way to use a tone ring on the balancer. Maybee someone out there has more info?

-
Back