98 Model Ram Magnum 360 in A-body

-

Haney

www.carsonandironmt.com
Reaction score
What all is required to put a 98 model Ram Truck Motor WITH A CARB in a 69 A-body? I am thinking intake, Carb, Ignition, oil pan and pick up. Also, I will need a correctly weighted flywheel since my car is a straight dirve. Anything else? I already have an electric fuel pump.

My 340 has problems and I am going to stroke it since it needs freshing anyway. I have a good 360 and thought I would run it while I was building the other.

How well will it run? The way they pull big trucks around I figued it would be pretty good.

Thanks,

are you planning on running the serpentine belts or V-belts. Serpentine set-ups tend to eat up space interfering with battery placement. If you pulled the engine from an automatic truck, just use the flexplate it came with and your neutral balance converter. Your 340 exhaust is a perfect fit. You'll need an older distributor, vac advance . motor mounts I believe arethe same for 340-360. Intake manifold selection is gonna suck aftermarket manifolds put the carb in the hood or right up to it.I think the only low profile is the mopar performance one. Air gaps place the carb too high. depending on front cover/ water pump selection you'll need to be mindful of water pump inlet location. There's a buttload of previous post you can search covering this. I know it's about the most common swap next to shoehorning a B/RB in an Abody

not much sense in putting a carbed engine in if the engine is already EFI; that would be half the point of the swap for me!

You'll need to do something with the PS pump so it doesn't get into the battery tray.

Carb, intake, flywheel, and possible a different radiator depending on your outlets.

Poison nailed it. Hughes sells the adapter, for a mechanical fuel pump.

I did a 360 swap in my 74 dart sport used a 92 360 last a la style from what i gathered had to get a oil pan for 360 with correct sump was like 60 bucks for summit brand n a b&m swap flex plate for 360 to 904 nobody could answer for sure on if the oe 360 flex plate would work flex plate was like 80 or so bucks one a the spool mounts i think drivers side i had to put a few sae washers behind to make one i the bolt holes meet the tab on the block besides that it was like any other motor swap very easy bolt in ordeal i am running a holly street dominator intake i got off ebay for 50 buck hood shuts great with 3" drop base air cleaner

guess in a way that is a apples to oranges comp. auto to 4 speed n la to magnum but mine runs far better then the tired 318 did im happy with my on the ceap swap i do believe the la v belt stuff all swaps to the magnum motor n u ll need to swap la timing cover to magnum motor to run v belt i started to do magnum swap till i found out my intake n valve covers wouldnt work n seeing as we had both motors on the shelf at work i went the way were i got out the cheapest

Thanks for all the great info. The magnumswap.com site is a wealth of info........

Any cheaper alternatives to a new mcleod/centerforce/hayes flywheel? My car is a 4-speed.

Thanks,

I could not find a cheap flywheel.
I used a McLeod that has the bolt on weight, that way when you change to another motor you can remove or install other weights.

-
Back