A-833 Input Shaft Help!

-
I said the same thing first. But I guess my opinion doesn’t matter? Reuse the old ones! I guarantee I rebuilt more Muncie’s than most have ever seen.

If the original roller bearings are not galled up, are smooth, shiny, and measure all the same spec, then grease em up and reuse them.

At 68, I ain't old yet.

I spent nearly 6 years in a powertrain rebuilding shop. We did from the engine back. So transmissions, transfer cases, and rearends. We had army contracts too. I started with them in the first year of production.I was about 25 and recently married.
They started me in teardowns, but the boss saw I had a talent I guess, and moved me into the Manual trans line. He started me out doing those old Chevy pick-up 3-speeds; I think those were Muncies. Then Saginaws, and Dodge stuff. And top-loader Fords. We did no custom stuff, Just whacked out remans. After I had a good stockpile of those in rotation, I started with 4-speeds and transfer cases.
As time went on, the Boss tried me out doing rear ends, no passenger stuff, mostly farm stuff.And I did that for a long time together with the Army stuff.
Then One day they threw a RoadRanger at me, and I was hooked. I flew thru those things.
Now I guess I caught the bosses eye, cuz right after that they started throwing all kinds of HD equipment at me. At first, I had to take them apart myself, to see how it was built, But I had a talent. You know, God gives to everyone talents and gifts. My talent was figuring out how mechanical stuff worked. So I told my boss, something like; " look boss, I'm the only guy here doing this stuff, If you make me take these giants apart everytime, I'm gonna get behind on contracts. what's your plan? If you give me technical drawings, cross-sectional blueprints, I can jam these out same as I used to jam out those weak-azz Muncies."
"you're on AJ, lemmee see if I can get drawings." By this time it's about 1981, and I'm being paid pretty good, and liking my work, so like; I'm on top of the world.
Then my first baby came into the world. OMG, she was so beautiful.
Life was good, perfect even.

But honestly, I haven't re-built that many A833s. I don't think it would total 50.
But I have had the same one apart about 8 times learning how to make it shift at 7200 like butter and never missing a shift again. And then copying it for others. One time, I had it out 3 times in a week!, 17 minutes is my best time,on a 4-post hoist; and that includes dropping the 3" dual exhaust system. But I got a helper on the GVod end. Mopar 4-speeds are easy-peasy; probably the simplest of it's size; at least back in the 80s it was.

Last edited:
I get this call often....put 15 rollers in place...line up the gap in the rollers with the gap in the snap ring. It will slide in from the back. Don't lay it in there and try to push it down in place...slide it in from the rear. Yes the new rollers are about .0008" larger than old ones in most cases...but I assemble 100's of these a year and don't recall ever not being able to get them in place.

-
Back