A-904/'68 Valiant Transmission Fluid Confusion

-

SincerePuppet

Reaction score
I might be confusing myself, but what's the consensus on trans fluid for the a-904. As a big note to all of this, I'm not interested in what's the absolute, definitively best fluid to use. The debate is interesting and all but I'm really just looking for something that works. Ideally I'd like to do a manual swap in the future anyways so as long as I can fill up and drive without major issues, I'm fine with that.

I read through some forums some weeks ago and although there was lots of debate, between what my manual says and what I read, I ended up making myself choose between dex/merc and multi-vehicle. I bought multi-vehicle (I couldn't tell you why I chose this over dex/merc but I did, maybe it was cheaper) but I didn't get enough as I already thought I had some. I was just about to reorder some more but I wanted to make this post just to clarify.

The manual (on 21-46) says "A-904: Pour six quarts of Automatic Transmission Fluid AQ-ATF Suffix "A" or (dexron)".

In looking through this and other forums, I saw a lot of people mention dex-II/-III. Both Dex/Merc and Multi-Vehicle say they are compatible replacements for these types. My multi bottle even says right on the front "[for] where dexron-III/Mercon are specified". Dex/merc brands online also claim to be compatible with dex-3/merc.

So give it to me straight, am I making a mistake buying more multi-vehicle or is a lot of this debate just arm chair trans experts going back and forth over what is the best of the best tranny fluid for these transmissions? Thanks

Keep it simple. Use what the manual says. That's the original Dexron, which you cannot find. Then Dexron II, which is really hard to find and finally Dexron III, which is what I always use. No need for Dexron 6. You want the shifts a little more firm? Use Ford type F. Personal preference between those.

I'm not an expert by any means but I just finished a rebuild on a '76 904 and I used Dex6. Seems to be working well. Firm shifts but not too firm. Feels right under hard acceleration. FI 360.

I'm curious why you wouldn't use Dex6?
Keep it simple. Use what the manual says. That's the original Dexron, which you cannot find. Then Dexron II, which is really hard to find and finally Dexron III, which is what I always use. No need for Dexron 6. You want the shifts a little more firm? Use Ford type F. Personal preference between those.
I'm curious why you wouldn't use Dex6?

We're talking about a transmission here that can operate on 30 weight motor oil.

ATF+4 is for newer transmissions. Not needed in the older transmissions . To much Money for no reason
I have a 1976 904, completely rebuilt and ready to go, and 7 qts of Type 4. Driver, not a racer. Is this ok?

Use what the manual says. That's the original Dexron, which you cannot find. Then Dexron II, which is really hard to find and finally Dexron III, which is what I always use.
Forgive me if I'm not understanding but if this is your advice then the multi-vehicle should be fine, no? It at least claims to be a suitable replacement for dex-II/dex-III so unless I'm missing something, it should be good enough. At least, that's what I'd think. Again this is my first mopar/a body so my apologies.

I'm only so hung up on the multi-vehicle as I already have 4 quarts of it (so I'd only need to buy 2 more, compared to getting 6 quarts of something else).

We're talking about a transmission here that can operate on 30 weight motor oil.
I think this is kinda what I was trying to get at with my original post. I know older engines/transmissions tend to be more lenient/forgiving than modern ones so if that's the case, does the difference really matter all that much?

Thanks everyone for the replies!

U can use anything u want. If u like it put it in. All u need is 1 person to agree with u and u are golden. That’s the way these everyday atf threads go. Kim

Forgive me if I'm not understanding but if this is your advice then the multi-vehicle should be fine, no? It at least claims to be a suitable replacement for dex-II/dex-III so unless I'm missing something, it should be good enough. At least, that's what I'd think. Again this is my first mopar/a body so my apologies.

I'm only so hung up on the multi-vehicle as I already have 4 quarts of it (so I'd only need to buy 2 more, compared to getting 6 quarts of something else).

I think this is kinda what I was trying to get at with my original post. I know older engines/transmissions tend to be more lenient/forgiving than modern ones so if that's the case, does the difference really matter all that much?

Thanks everyone for the replies!
Use what you want. Put water in it. It's not mine.

U can use anything u want. If u like it put it in. All u need is 1 person to agree with u and u are golden. That’s the way these everyday atf threads go. Kim
Puzackly. I'm tired of fightin with people.

Use what you want. Put water in it. It's not mine.
I'm really sorry if I'm coming off like I'm arguing. I genuinely want to know. Obviously there's gotta be at least some sort of difference between dex-2/-3 and an atf that claims to be a dex-2/3 replacement, otherwise they wouldn't be selling it under another name. I'm just trying to figure out if anybody knows just how significant that difference is.
I'm not trying to turn my trans into a giant, expensive paper weight just for the sake of an argument, believe me.

If Dexron 3 was good in 1966, it's just as good now. A replacement will work also as its challenging to find just "Dexron 3". I don't see the need for expensive fluids that the newer transmissions require.

I just had a 727 rebuilt, on the receipt it said use type "F" fluid.

I'm not trying to turn my trans into a giant, expensive paper weight just for the sake of an argument, believe me.
Then don't run ATF4 or ANY sort of "universal" fluid. Think about that. How can ONE fluid be "right" for several makes of transmissions? No thanks. I don't even recommend Dex6. It's too expensive for one and these transmissions were never designed for it. I've always run The lowest Dexron number I can find, and right now that's 3, OR Ford Type F of I want a more firm shift. The Dexron is all Chrysler recommends. recommends.

If Dexron 3 was good in 1966, it's just as good now. A replacement will work also as its challenging to find just "Dexron 3". I don't see the need for expensive fluids that the newer transmissions require.
Back then it was just "Dexron". Is 3 hard to find there? Our local stores still stock it here.

I just use type F. When I opened the 4 speed in my RR, it had auto trans fluid in it. My race buddy said they did that for easier shifting in the winter. I thought him a little crazy, but lo and behold, even in the service manual it states either gear oil or auto trans fluid.

-
Back