A-Body 4 Speed Hump location

-

Robin House

Reaction score
Hi guys, i’m Having a tough time pulling the trigger on cutting my floor for the hump. I think I have it lined up but it seems like it back a little too far. I bolted up the trans for a reference but the shifter won’t bolt on until after the floor is cut. I lined it up to where the shifter should come through, and drilled a small hole. Then placed the hump so the hole I drilled was centered with the shifter hole. Still seems a little far back so figured I would toss the pics up for you guys to comment on. Let me know what you think.

DE050797-6E2F-4775-A778-264DAAF4AA8E.jpeg

9C2CE213-A513-4E3F-A1DC-D5FB0276F212.jpeg

Well if you're committed to cutting anyway why not drill a small hole through the boot hole and trans tunnel and see where it lines up to the 4 speed?

Edit: i see you've already done that.

Should be "steps" on bottom left of hump to match floor contour to get close?

Then just cut hole big enough for shifter/linkage of trans to get as precise as you need.....leaving a inch or so to weld to
Thats what I did.

D.

I agree you can only slide it back as far as the step allows.
Should be "steps" on bottom left of hump to match floor contour to get close?

Then just cut hole big enough for shifter/linkage of trans to get as precise as you need.....leaving a inch or so to weld to
Thats what I did.

D.[/QUOT

Related question: When these cars came out of the assembly plant, did they use a different floor pan for floor shift cars or did they just cut a hole where it was needed?

Bases on my investigation when I did the 4 speed conversion. I came to the conclusion that the manual floor shifted cars were just cut from the auto floor pan.

Thanks for all the help guys. I cut mine last week and it fits great.

I have another question for you guys. My Dart does not have a ball stud pivot bracket on the frame rail. I see in some pics that they have them, but the diagram that can with my parts does not show one. Here are two pics. 1st is mine, 2nd is another that I saw. Do I need the purple bracket?

4FE3925E-B6D7-4A27-BCE0-757489DF0E4C.png

7D4FF2BC-0A7C-4B2B-91AD-BBC521711721.png

Dont believe so.
2nd pic may be for later models, I havnt seen that.
My 65 Dart is like 1st pic but mine is bolted....

Dave

Mine is a 73 Dart, but I still don’t have the bracket.
The link Daves69 sent over does not show it either.

Ok. That’s what I thought. The bracket is on the out side. I made a plate out of 1/8” steel.

I had the same problem with my Hurst vertigate. For me I loved it on the track. I thought the year since I put the interior back in it and putting it more on the street that I would like my Hurst ball shifter again. Before it goes back out this summer I'm going to see if it will work with my bench seat and if it will I'll put the V gate back in. I really liked it...

-
Back