A-body console history needed.....

-

694spd

Reaction score
I have some questions on consoles.

- Was 1966 the 1st year for the "long" floor console?

- Was 1969 the 1st year for the woodgrain top plate and did all consoles after that date have
the woodgrain top plates?

- What year the consoles get the start getting the "latch button" for the rear storage compartment door?

For A bodies I believe wood grain may have been had on some 68's? Depending on build date. My 69 4spd is wood grain. My 67 has black center stripe.

1966-1968 were the same, chrome tops with argent paint and an indent all the way down the center.
1969 was the first year for woodgrain and had the finger crunching lid with no indent down the center.
1971-1976 was the woodgrain with the flip-up button top

1966-1968 were the same, chrome tops with argent paint and an indent all the way down the center.
1969 was the first year for woodgrain and had the finger crunching lid with no indent down the center.
1971-1976 was the woodgrain with the flip-up button top

Thanks for the info. Lately at a couple of local cruise nights. I have come across some 73-74 Dart Sport and Dusters that had the 66-68 style argent paint top consoles in them. In both cases the owners claimed that the cars were all factory original. So it sounds like the woodgrain top would be the correct top for those cars.

-
Back