A-Body EFI Fuel Tank

-

racerjoe

Reaction score
Thought I would share this. I called this company a few months back to inquire about an EFI tank for the Mopar A-Body because at the time they only had E-Body tanks. At the time of my call they told me they didn't have plans to make an A-Body tank. I just checked their website and to my surprise it looks like they will be selling an EFI ready tank for A-Bodies.
I'm super stoked about this because I was about to order the Holley Hydra mat which was going to require modification to my sending unit, which isn't a problem, but hey I have to buy a new tank anyway, why not get one that is baffled and ready to go for EFI!

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...t_id=481/category_id=146/mode=prod/prd481.htm

Tanks Inc. made an "EFI" tank for me last fall. I am using their mounting kit and their Walbro in-tank pump. Really nice quality stuff, and nice people to deal with. I'm not running EFI, just a 750 Holley, but installed a return type regulator and new supply/return lines. Car never ran better, and will never have vapor lock problems again. Plus the in-tank pump is very quiet.

The remaining option is the Aeromotive Phantom system...which is what I will be using.

I've never been that sure about the small basket in the tanks inc pump modules, and it's hard to tell if their sender is a linear sender or not. The ones for fuel cells don't read very well.

I knew about the other options out there, I was just hoping to use something that retained the stock appearance and was as much of a bolt in as possible. The Aeromotive system was on the top of my list until I saw the hydra mat. The only thing I didn't like about the Aeromotive system is having to space the tank down to make it fit. Now that this is out, the hydra mat is out.
At the end of the day, I think all of them are viable solutions. It seems like the market is flooded with different type of EFI systems, but the fuel systems needed to support the conversions was lagging behind. Heck, these manufactures designed the throttle body EFI for muscle cars, but up until recently, fuel tanks were slim pickings to support them. That is, unless you have something other than a first gen Camaro.

I've been following this myself. I was hung up on the tanks Inc unit because I wanted drop- in parts availability and I did not want an external regulator or return line. I also don't want some oddball level sender if tanks Inc goes tits up in the future.

I just went to the salvage yard yesterday and got a ram efi pump (from a '99), and I'm seriously considering either recessing the pump module a la tanks Inc, or possibly just mounting it in the top of the stock tank and adding an access plate in the trunk.

I'll probably just make a threaded ring like the factory plastic one, except in steel, and weld it to a replacement tank.

I really like these new tanks, but my only complaint is that they lost 2 gallons somewhere. I would rather have gained 2 gallons :)

-
Back