A body Front speaker location?

-

dustyswinger

Reaction score
I am looking to put a pair of speakers in the front of my 72 Scamp and don't know where to put them? I thought about either the kick panels or door panels. I Wonder what you guys have done and could you post pictures? I see that auto sound has kick panels for $169. Has anyone used them and are they worth the money? Thanks for the help. Craig

there was a guy that made a plate that held 2 3.5 Volfenhag speakers(or your brand)AND that plate mounted where the old in-dash speaker was
under the grill in the center. you could do it for less than 60.00 and supposedly it sounded ..ok...

Slant scamp, how are they and what size speaker do they fit?

I had a set of the kick panel speakers in my '68 B'cuda ragtop. I liked them fairly well although the speakers themselves could have been better. I think someone on ebay was selling just the panels. If those are still available I would get them and get my speakers elsewhere. I think they were 6x9 but I can't recall exactly.
Dallas

I have a set of the kickpanels in my 68 Barracuda. The speakers are a goofy size, like 4 x 6 and are cheap. The key would be to buy the panels without the cheap Chinese speakers and install a quality speaker of your own choice. I`ve seen somebody on Ebay offer them with a better Pioneer speaker. The panels are made of a ABS plastic and are a little thinner than the factory units. Oh , and the fresh air vents will not open fully if you use the kick panel speakers. There are openings in the doors at the bottom front and if you don`t mind trashing your door panels a round speaker (4.5"? maybe) will fit in there and sound very good.

This is one of my brackets that mrbill00 is talking about.

2294474098_ff642cce2c_o.jpg

And another...

2368669205_a25e100ca9.jpg

It replaces something like this old 4"x10" single-cone speaker bracket. You can install dual 3-1/2" speakers of your choice, and it mounts in the original location without any modifications.

2028297315_826a6e5fd4.jpg

I make them for all A-bodies, B-bodies, and E-bodies. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Jerry

the paddock sells kickpanels with two gradws of speakers
I bought a pr for my duster
the screw holds even line up
mike

I just ordered the kick panels from the paddock with 130 watt pioneer 4x6 speakers and I am going to pair them up with 6x9 150 pioneers in the back....should be pretty sweet....only thing was that those kick panels are $225 american shipper to me in Canada, which is quite a pretty penny just for speakers and panels....but hey i gotta have my tunes.

I highly recommend 74 Sport's speaker bracket. I installed one and it sounds great and looks stock.

I second that! I'm very happy with the one I got from Jerry. Give him a call. :thumbrig:

I'm also thinking of adding some of those kickpanels with the speakers in them that the Paddock sells and installing a pair of 6x9s in the rear deck of my '67 cuda notchback.

Here`s mine with a set of Infinity speakers. These 4 x 6 speakers suck at bass, I`ve got a 250hz filter installed so they don`t explode!

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_350.jpg

id add dual 3.5s in my dash, but i still got the factory AM radio and it still works!!, so im gonna make my own kicks with 6 or 6.5" (forget what size my speakers are), i just gotta figure out how to fiberglass. ive already got a pair of kicks i can hack up, some (ok lots) of 3/4" mdf board, and some wooded dowels

I've got a pair of the Paddock's kick panel speakers in the Demon. They are fine for what I listen to and how loud I listen. I had considered using the defroster outlets, but decided that I would not get enough R/L separation for my use. While the plate is very neat, I think it would exacerbate the situation.

Was considering cutting a door panel on the 73. After seeing Longgone's 4x6s, I'm having second thoughts. Those look fine to me. If I need standoffs with the kick panels, I'll use long sheet metal screws and metal tubing to keep the speaker magnets away from the body.

hey 72 demon, do you have the kick panels with the pioneer speakers in them? what kind of music are you playing and how loud? also, do you push most of the sound through rear speakers (if you have any)? I was told by an audio guy it would be best to channel alot of the sound to some rear 6x9's since the 4x6's can't take much bass

it all depends on what the RMS wattage is, and how you got the stereo set up between the fader,bass,and trebile set. in my 5th i have the bass up all the way, the trebile up +2, and the the fader at F2 (front +2). in my dart i only have a pair of rear 6x9s. once i get all the kinks worked out on the 5th ill start workin on my dart more

hey 72 demon, do you have the kick panels with the pioneer speakers in them? what kind of music are you playing and how loud? also, do you push most of the sound through rear speakers (if you have any)? I was told by an audio guy it would be best to channel alot of the sound to some rear 6x9's since the 4x6's can't take much bass

Didn't go with the Pioneers. Since I'm running 30 watts per channel RMS, I didn't see the need for the extra power capacity or expense. (LOL if you like but the factory radio was rated at 2 watts peak.) I put a little extra foam insulation behind the kick panel edges to stick it out a little further leaving a little chamber behind the speaker. It's not enough to be noticable from a visual perspective. I never tested the system any other way, so I can't tell you what I gained (or lost). The rest of it is pretty much as Spikekid999 said.

I listen primarily to Classic Rock, Country, and Contemporary Christian. Since all of those tend to be bass intense, I rarely find it necessary to boost bass more than a little. Bass transmits well, but treble not so. That's probably why the audio guys say to run more bass at the rear. I usually do boost the treble a bit more than the bass. I have Infinity 6x9 3-ways in the rear and the balance is biased slightly rearward. If I were to go more to the rear, I could talk to people on the front seat, but not in the back. Ultimately, you do the equalizing to suit your preference to the music you like to listen to.

No Flowmasters, but I'm not using stock mufflers either. I play it loud enough to hear easily over the motor at cruise. Some times it gets loud enough to block out a meat wagon more than 4 car lengths back. Can't imagine a system that would block out the roar of the AFB at full song.

After seeing the 6x4s in the kick panel on Longgone's, I'm thinking of putting a 5¼ 2-way in the kick panels of my 73. For the rear I'm casually looking for a pair of straight 6x9s and putting a 2 inch dome tweeter with a 5000hz choke in the sail panels. Got the tweeters and the 2-ways.

I plan on buying a pair of the kick panels with the speakers in them, will be nice I think to have the sound come from in front of me instead of right next to me as with my speakers in the door panels now.

Here is a recent installation of one of my speaker brackets in a '69 Dart. The owner used a pair of 3-1/2" Blaupunkt speakers with no fitment problems. Let me know if I can help you with your project.

Jerry

69Dart.jpg

Blaupunkt.jpg

Here is a recent installation of one of my speaker brackets in a '69 Dart. The owner used a pair of 3-1/2" Blaupunkt speakers with no fitment problems. Let me know if I can help you with your project.

Jerry

As Jerry mentioned above, just installed his speaker plate in my Dart. Highly recommend it and I was able to install it w/an already assembled/installed dash. Huge difference from only the 2 - 6 x 9's in the rear. :thumbup:

Any Q's on the install, PM me.

I am going to try something a bit different. I am going to re-engineer my dash to look somewhat like that of an aircraft instrument panel. I intend to increase the height a little and construct a center column that will attach to a center console. My thought is that I will put a pair of bigger speakers in the rear, pointing forward (in the fold-down trunk panel of a fastback '68 'Cuda). Because higher range sounds are more directional, I am thinking of mounting them into the sides of the center column, not flush, but canted somewhat forward. Because I will have a taller dash, I am thinking about mounting a pair of tweeters somewhere in the dash.

Of course, once I start, things might change due to fitment issues. I will begin posting pics as soon as I begin working on the car this winter.

I tend to go all out on my sound systems, but have planned to scale back on the Demon. What ever you do leave the door panels alone LOL I have to replace mine due to some guy butchering a pair of 5 1/2s into the door.
Hope I don't piss anyone off here but I am not a fan of the built out kick panels although they are a good idea I hate the look of them. The other thing...and just my .02 is the two speakers side by side in the middle of the dash. I did that once and my problem was I didn't hear any separation so the stereo aspect was usless.
What I have always loved and yes it is old school and I have had tons of comments on was the old style Pioneer tune up speakers. To keep it simple a set in the front and a pair of 6x9s in the rear and your good to go no cutting or buying new panels. And just double sided tape for installation.
Only problem is getting a set. I bought a pair off ebay and the last pair I found at a swap meet for $10 bucks.
They tuck away really nice and are adjustable...everyone had a set of these LOL
AL

-
Back