a-body gasser ?

-

demon79

Reaction score
anyone ever seen or built a straight axle a-body?i'm thinking of building a straight axle gasser out of my 64' valiant. any photos would be appreciated

There was a 65 Dart with a straight axle and a 392 hemi on ebay about two weeks ago. Looked cool....think it went for 3500.

I have an uncle that owned a 64 Valiant Gasser in the late 60's, I will get a picture posted this weekend!

Jason
1971 Dart

Someone here had a 63 or a 64 Dart with a straight axle for sale. Go back and look through either the Early A Body or the Cars for Sale sections.

Thank You!

OldMoparsRule

The other guys beat me to the punch on mentioning the gasser that was here a week or 2 ago. HAVE AT IT! Bill Shrewsberry, an old time drag racer had one & if you look quickly at the intro on "Hot Rod TV" there's his car in all its rainbow colored glory! You COULD go one better & build a facsimile of Don Garlits only funny car--it was an A-body:thumbup:

I have a 67 Dart that Has a 6" drop straight axle and I am building an old style Gasser out of it.Haven't really got started much still looking for some parts! I am going to build a "WICKED" little 340 for it with fenderwell headers,side exhaust pipes NO MUFFLERS!Also going to see what I can do about making a one piece front end that flips up like the old 55 Chevy gassers did.

Here's a couple of pics.

AWB-01.jpg

Lead-Photo-sfw.jpg

Here's a few 66 Dart photos I have of pre funny cars (AFX) I bought the aqua colored one as an artists proof and it is framed and on my office wall. Mike

Hey guys- Its been awhile since I've been able to visit the site. Myself and Steve Magnante have been busy with pouring in alot of extra time on our match bash altered wheelbase cars(of which you see his in the Mopar Max issues). His is a '63 post while mine is a '64 coupe. We were both hoping to get them lined up against each other by about this time, as well as having them on display at SEMA2007, but life sometimes gets in the way of dreams! Keep an eye out in the next few weeks for an upcoming issue of "HotRod Deluxe". We put together a TEN PAGE build-up on his '64, but the real big news is we've been working these last few month's on compiling every scrap of knowledge we have on these AWB cars, and made it into a ninety minute video. Steve and I have tried to make it all as plain and simple as can be, so that anyone with basic knowledge, and welding skills can build one of these cars out of a garage, or in our case, his backyard, which we've knick-named "The Hillbilly HellShack"! Super informative,(I hate sounding like a commercial, but I've poured a year of my life into these cars, and you know, I'm as excited as a kid in a candy store!) stuff. Hopefully, this DVD will answer ALOT of questions, but now that we see some light at the end of the tunnel, some of you can ask away to me as well! I'll try and hit the site at least every other night! Mine and Steve's dream is to have a circus of these cars, as period correct as possible. Thats where it gets real hard. Its so easy to take the "billet" way out. Some things you have to sacrifice though. Old racing parts get harder and harder to find! Talk with you soon!

Dale Snoke
The FunnyCar Farmer

Hey Dale, you can reserve me a DVD. As soon as it is available I will send you the money. That kind of info is priceless.

Thanks
Mike

right-side.jpg

front-rt-seat.jpg

front-lt-seat.jpg

Do you guys plan on bringing the cars out to Fall Fling on November 10, 2007 ??

Please bring them out. We'd love to see those cars out there. I know I've seen your awesome work out at the shows before. :thumbrig:

Just how close are you to having a circus of these cars? :idea1:

:-\"

Hey guys- Its been awhile since I've been able to visit the site. Myself and Steve Magnante have been busy with pouring in alot of extra time on our match bash altered wheelbase cars(of which you see his in the Mopar Max issues). His is a '63 post while mine is a '64 coupe. We were both hoping to get them lined up against each other by about this time, as well as having them on display at SEMA2007, but life sometimes gets in the way of dreams! Keep an eye out in the next few weeks for an upcoming issue of "HotRod Deluxe". We put together a TEN PAGE build-up on his '64, but the real big news is we've been working these last few month's on compiling every scrap of knowledge we have on these AWB cars, and made it into a ninety minute video. Steve and I have tried to make it all as plain and simple as can be, so that anyone with basic knowledge, and welding skills can build one of these cars out of a garage, or in our case, his backyard, which we've knick-named "The Hillbilly HellShack"! Super informative,(I hate sounding like a commercial, but I've poured a year of my life into these cars, and you know, I'm as excited as a kid in a candy store!) stuff. Hopefully, this DVD will answer ALOT of questions, but now that we see some light at the end of the tunnel, some of you can ask away to me as well! I'll try and hit the site at least every other night! Mine and Steve's dream is to have a circus of these cars, as period correct as possible. Thats where it gets real hard. Its so easy to take the "billet" way out. Some things you have to sacrifice though. Old racing parts get harder and harder to find! Talk with you soon!

Dale Snoke
The FunnyCar Farmer

too cool! would love a dvd like that. i'd like more info on how to keep the steering geometry correct especially for street driving. i'd like to put a straight axle under mine but keep it as a daily driver....
thanks!!
-tim

This weekend, we are going to try and fire off the 318 that sits in my '64. Some of the Mosher's gang said they'd pitch in to get it running, so we can shake down the suspension before we drop in a Max Wedge. But I figure if that 318 runs good, we'll stab a cam in it, and I'll buld a real cool set of spaghetti fenderwell headers for it. Run it, shake the car down, then pull it, detail the engine bay get ready for paint and the real deal.
Bob Mosher has been keeping an eye on my car. After all, he built an AWB car many years back, and swore he'd never do one again, it was that hard. But, secretly, I think he has a liking to mine, maybe due to the fact it reminds him of his. Who knows. But, if we can get it running, we'll drive it onto the Fall Fling. If not, we'll trailer it as well as Steve's. Can't wait to show everyone. I love the rollcage I built for mine. Ain't no room for a back seat!!

As far as front suspension- I deviated from how I built Steve's, by putting my steering cross link in front of the straightaxle. What??? Well, hold on a sec. Let me explain the reason-

Alot of these cars crashed due to early racers taking the easy way out by using "near steering", meaning the went straight from the steering box to the driver side . Scary wheel shake and terrible handling will be a result. Steve's is cross steer, with the link in back of the axle, Mine has it out front, and its distance out is the same as the distance back from the cross steer link. In my case, I found there to be no binding, jounce testing provided zero deflection in the steering wheel, and the leverage makes it feel like power steering. The downside is that yo do not get as sharp a turning raduis as before, even though you can still turn the wheel lock to lock. Oh well, so it takes an extra shot to get it into that 7-11 parking lot! By the way, our idea of jounce testing was to jack the front end of the car up about two feet, then dropping out the jack and letting it hit the ground!! The wheels stayed straight and the steering wheel did not shimmy. So I think it'll fly, but obviously we'll know when it gets its first tires up launch!

Dale

....But, if we can get it running, we'll drive it onto the Fall Fling. If not, we'll trailer it as well as Steve's. Can't wait to show everyone. I love the rollcage I built for mine. Ain't no room for a back seat!!

...Dale

How many other Mopar gasser/straight axle/altered etc cars could you round up to come to Fall Fling?? :-k....... :idea1:

Steve
CPW Club president
www.cpwclub.com

Steve- so far just our two. We cannot allow the others, they are not Mopar!!! I'll be wrenching on mine until the 'Fling. I'll roll it out into the sunshine tomorrow for some update pics, then post a link over the weekend. It took me all day today just to finish one fender lip so that it does not look like it was cut, but rather I built a new rolled fender lip. Turned out quite nice. Should not require any body filler. I'm trying to acquire a cheap set of banged up headers to use as starting points for some homemade fenderwells for the 318 for the time being.
Dale

Any picture of a Dart called the Corruptor's Pup. This car is owned by a clubmember out here in L.A. Same guy owns the Bill Maverick 63 Dodge.

Steve has a few photos of the Liberty Motors Corruptors Pup. It was one mean looking car back then.

Steve has a few photos of the Liberty Motors Corruptors Pup. It was one mean looking car back then.

Tell Steve the car is now local in LA area. And it owned by the same guy that had the Maverick car and the 66 #42 Nascar clone at Spring Fling this year.

The Corruptors Pup is restored and running. I can get you in touch with the owner.

-
Back