A body hood hinges

-

marksmopars

Reaction score
I have reached a point of serious frustration and am hoping someone here my know what I am apparently missing. I am working with my son to restore a 70 swinger and putting it back together am stuck with a hood hinge problem. I purchased a set of used hood hinges and after cleaning and painting, mounting them on the car, then mounting the hood. First time closing the hood one of the hinges, drivers side, bent, ruining it. I searched out a replacement, cleaned and painted it got it mounted and again the first time closing the hood it wants to bend also. I was watching so didn't bend like the first one, but still isn't working as it should. Anyone else out there run into such issues and any ideas how I can get past this point of serious frustration? I am nearly done with the body work and just need to mount the fender to finish them before I bring the car home for motor installation. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Interesting...never had that issue....I would say check the spring orientation but you tried another spring...so I wouldn't think that would be the issue.
Pre 70 hinges are adjusted by a slider in the hood, 70 + up are adjusted by the bolt holes being slotted oval, still I don't think that would be the issue (thinking wrong year spring, all look the same except for adjustment method). I found this adjustment issue when trying to use 73 Dart hood hinge on a 69 barracuda...cant adjust the hood.
Anyway...great sign in name by the way lol

used hinges is just it. There is so much slop in the hinge as time goes by they get even more sloppy. You can try to bush the pins but I found that didnt really help. There is a place that restores hinges but not sure of the name.

grease the springs...that's usually why they bend,rust and dirt not letting the spring work as it should.and also it was sometime in 72 when the hood mounting holes got bigger for the adjustment.

good luck!

Can anyone tell me if there are washers that go behind the hinges the seem very sloppy and have already scratched the paint ????

15407427242343558492179403592221.jpg

they're always sloppy when the hood isn't attached

Yes that I know but the hood has been put on and off a few times just wanted to know if I was missing something being it's rubbing on the paint
I see...didn't know the hood was on when it was rubbing...They may be flexing when you close the hood,maybe try some grease ..idk,they look clean...could just be wore out.
I don't see anything missing but that streek of orange paint.

20181029_131605.jpg
Just took my car apart to restore it. This is a 73 scamp, and fender has never been off the car since new. I don't see ware you screwed up from your pic.

Yes, it does look like a spring has been reversed? I see the clip is missing as well, another clue. I took those "star" washers off and drilled a hole in the mounting pin and installed a regular washer and cotter pin...much better. A roll pin would be better possibly.
I am just doing my hood and hinges on my 69 Barracuda,,,,I'll take a picture for comparison.

Yes, it does look like a spring has been reversed? I see the clip is missing as well, another clue. I took those "star" washers off and drilled a hole in the mounting pin and installed a regular washer and cotter pin...much better. A roll pin would be better possibly.
I am just doing my hood and hinges on my 69 Barracuda,,,,I'll take a picture for comparison.
Good idea on the cotter pin. Good luck hope you fix the problem.

I managed to get a few pictures of the hinges on my 69 Dart. I drilled the pin and put cotter pins and a washer...I have had the star washers rust and break popping the hinge off....not an easy fix when your car is all assembled! The washer and cotter pin is a temp install I plan on making this a cleaner deal when the time comes to complete. As well....check out the spring orientation..this is the drivers side. Oh and the hood is only 1/2 open, the reason for the hinge looking as it does, not fully extended.

69 Dart hinge1.JPG

69 Dart Hinge.JPG

Grease the springs?
:popcorn:subscribed...

Greasing em was mentioned several times earlier in the thread. I’m asking because my drivers side hinge is looking like it’s flexing more than it used to and if adding grease to the equation helps, we’ll, that would be swell.

Greasing em was mentioned several times earlier in the thread. I’m asking because my drivers side hinge is looking like it’s flexing more than it used to and if adding grease to the equation helps, we’ll, that would be swell.
Cuz I've never heard of greasing the Springs doesn't mean people don't do it. I've just never heard of it and was interested to see what it would do.

I am noticing that the two posts showing the hinge in original condition show the spring inserted in the slot mount from above while the OPs is from below. The question is: does it matter?

I took them off installed couple of nylon washers behind and they are much better no more rubbing

I am noticing that the two posts showing the hinge in original condition show the spring inserted in the slot mount from above while the OPs is from below. The question is: does it matter?
I would guess spring tension might change by position in slot.

What Dust Um All said. Same here.

-
Back