A body louvers

-

74duster

Reaction score
I have wanted a set of louvers for my Duster for a long time. I know that there are a lot of you out there who would also like to have a set. Even if you can find them, the prices are out of sight.
Instead, I am in the process of making some that are my own design. These will not be copies of the originals.
There are still a couple of hurdles to overcome, but I am confident that I will have a prototype set made by the end of the month. When it is ready, I will post pics so everyone can get a look at them. If there is any interest in them, I will be able to make them for you.
Once again, they will not be copied after the originals. But if you want a good looking set of louvers for your car that are attainable, then just be patient for a little bit longer. They are on the way.

This project has turned into more of a challenge than I expected. I had hoped to have a complete prototype ready by this weekend, but that hasn't happened.
I have the mounts and the basic framework figured out, but the curves and angles on the louvers themselves are a real pain. I am still working on it, and will post pics when it is far enough along to do so.

Rob

Upgraded material over the weekend, and had to redo most of what I had done. Frustrating, but it will be better in the long run.
I have some other things that will be taking up my spare time for a while, so it may be a week or two before I can get back to the louver project.
I'll update this thread as soon as more progress is made.

Rob

The prototype is finally done. There is still some fine tuning to be done, so don't expect to see a perfect product when you look at the pics.
I am planning on making them satin black, the material I bought just happens to be white. I didn't paint these because I think they accent the white stripe on my car really well.
Take a look and tell me what you think of them.

Rob

PDR_0688.jpg

PDR_0689.jpg

PDR_0690.jpg

PDR_0691.jpg

PDR_0692.jpg

The material is .040 aluminum. It isn't as stiff as I would like it to be, so I'm going to see if I can get something a little thicker for the next set. The last time I bought material, their available stock skipped from .040 up to .090 which is more than what I think is needed. Although if that's what it takes to keep the louvers straight, then that's what I'll use. I would like to try something around .060 if I can get it.
I'm still working on attaching them. They will have some type of hinge at the top to make window cleaning easy. The hinges and lower fasteners will probably have paddles that slip under the chrome trim. I have made several under-the-chrome fasteners, and they work well, I just haven't gotten them refined enough yet.
I have played with the idea of having a filler panel under the bottom louver to keep that area from looking like its been cut off. The filler is basically a louver that lays flat against the window. The way the trunk lids open on these cars just doesn't give you any room to work with down at the bottom of the window. What do you think about that idea?

Rob

The list of material hasn't been determined yet, or the assembly time. So the price will have to wait.

Rob

Looks great! Very nice work.:-D:-D Put me on the list for some. I guess they could be powder coated in about any color you'd want, huh? Anyway, the Demon would like a set.

Looks great 74duster.:cheers: I envy guys like you who can think of something and make it from scratch. :notworth:

I try but dont have the technical thought process.

They look good. I'll bet they are cheaper than the $1000 sets we've seen.

Looks great! Very nice work.:-D:-D Put me on the list for some. I guess they could be powder coated in about any color you'd want, huh? Anyway, the Demon would like a set.
Maybe one of you guys should get ahold of Leanna (Cudachick 1968) and get a quote on the powdercoating, maybe a group rate would apply here.
BTW, the louvers look good! :cheers: Cudos to you 74 duster for taking the time to develop them. I believe there would be a good market for them if the price is reasonable.
Good luck,
Tom.

and just when I thought FABO couldn't get any MORE awesome, Rob comes along and knocks one out of the park. Two thumbs WAY up :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have been pecking away at the roadstops in this project. Thicker material is too thick for my equipment, and mounting hardware is still not as good as I want it to be, etc. I will overcome these problems, though.
It is good to hear from those of you that are interested in the louvers. It's a lot easier to stay focused on this when I know that there are people who want them. It is easy to get discouraged, but then when I check this thread and see the interest you have, I can get right back into it and make things happen. Keep the comments coming!!

Rob

Just trying to help with the projct Rob, as I'm interested in a set myself.
The .040" aluminium, I would have taught would've been strong enough.

Did you try with a small 90* bend say 3/32" at the front (upper) edges, or fold (roll-over the edge) for added strength.

And "yes" on the bottom filler panel.

All the best.
Giles

I have considered some type of hem or crease or crimp or something to stiffen it up. In fact, I am still looking at that as a possibility. I have someone who knows metal forming better than me, that is filling me in on options.
As far as the filler panel goes, you are the second person to say you like the idea. So, when I get a chance, I will get some pics of the louvers installed with a filler. (I have one made already.) I might be able to make the filler panel an option, so those who like it can have it, and those who don't like it won't have to have it.

Rob

-
Back