jeremys_pictures_001 (Small).jpg

jeremys_pictures_002 (Small).jpg

jeremys_pictures_003 (Small).jpg

jeremys_pictures_004 (Small).jpg

jeremys_pictures_005 (Small).jpg

jeremys_pictures_006 (Small).jpg

jeremys_pictures_007 (Small).jpg

jeremys_pictures_008 (Small).jpg

Looks pretty good except it needs a support for the upper u-joint since you are using two u-joints on this application. The bushing in the column is not enough especially since it is so far away from the u-joint.

Has 2-3 In Long Poly Plastic Bushing Made On Lathe In Column Instead Of Old Factory Bushing.seems To Work Ok.probably Could Use A Support Of Some Sort If Need Be.

What was the rack out of? Dakota? What year? I am seeing a new project in my 73's future. What all was needed? :blob:

wow i wanna do this, besides it being more up to date why is doing something like this better, is the steering just tighter or what not?

Header clearance is one advantage I imagine.
How many turns lock to lock on this setup?

rank said:
Header clearance is one advantage I imagine.
How many turns lock to lock on this setup?

SEEMS TO BE THE SAME LOCK TO LOCK AS STOCK.BUT NO MORE STEERING BOX IN THE WAY,AND STEERING IS CLEAR OF OIL PAN SO U CAN RUN A REAR SUMP PAN.THE RACK IS OUT OF A 80-90'S 2WD MANUAL STEERING DODGE DAKOTA.GOT RACK AND FACTORY JOINT FOR $75 AT LOCAL JUNK YARD.PROBABLY HAD $1OO TOTAL IN JOB.

lemonboy69 said:
I wonder how it compares to the Flaming River R&P that you just put in Abodyjoe... :)

i don't know.. but if it steers anything like mine he will be very happy..

abodyjoe said:
i don't know.. but if it steers anything like mine he will be very happy..
HAVE DRIVEN IT A COUPLE OF TIMES ON THE HIGHWAY.I UNFORTUNATELY INSTALLED A FULL SPOOL IN THE REAR AND THAT OF COURSE DOES NOT HELP WHEN TRYING TO MAKE A TURN.BUT IT DRIVES LIKE A DREAM.THE CAR HAS RUN A BEST OF 11.9 AT THE TRACK.IT WAS SLIPPING THE REAR WHEELS.PULLED A SORRY 1.75 60FT AND A 7.4 1/8 MI.WITH FULL EXHAUST
BOUGHT NEW M1 INTAKE,COMP ENGINEERING ADJUSTABLE REAR AND FRONT SHOCKS,AND INSTALLED 18" HEDDER EXTENSIONS.THE HEDDERS IN THE PICTURE ARE HOOKER SUPER COMP 1.75" PRIMARY.THANK GOODNESS FOR THE RACK.IT WOULD HAVE BEEN TIGHT TO FIT THEM WITH STOCK STEERING.ALSO NICE TO HAVE THE REAR SUMP OIL PAN.

abodyjoe said:
cool... got any pictures of what you did to the spindles to get them to be front steer??

alterK6-17-06%20%283%29.JPG

UNBOLTED THE LOWER BALL JOINTS AND SWITCHED THEM FROM RIGHT TO LEFT.THEY FIT EITHER WAY..EASILY DONE..
HOW FAR ARE THE TIEROD ENDS ON YOUR STEERING BEHIND THE RACK BODY ITSELF?YOUR STEERING IS SWEEEEEEET!!
WISH MINE LOOKED THAT NICE.BUT I AM HAPPY WITH MY $100 STEERING CONVERSION.

1966 dart wagon said:
what would be needed to install a power rack and pinion? is the stuff simlar

NOT SURE.IF IT WOULD HOOK UP TO STOCK STEERING PUMP IT WOULD BE PRETTY SIMPLE.I USED THE MANUAL RACK BECAUSE THE POWER RACK IS ALITTLE LARGER IN SIZE.IT CAN BE DONE I'M SURE.BUT DID NOT REALLY LOOK IN TO IT.WENT MANUAL FOR THE SIZE AND THE FACT THAT I DRAG RACE THE CAR 80% AND STREET IT MAYBE 20%.IT DRIVES NICE JUST NEEDS A GOOD POSI AND SELL THE SPOOL.
IF ANYONE HAD ANY QUESTIONS I CAN BE REACHED AFTER 6 IN THE EVENINGS AT
660-849-2507
JEREMY

74360duster said:
UNBOLTED THE LOWER BALL JOINTS AND SWITCHED THEM FROM RIGHT TO LEFT.THEY FIT EITHER WAY..EASILY DONE..
HOW FAR ARE THE TIEROD ENDS ON YOUR STEERING BEHIND THE RACK BODY ITSELF?YOUR STEERING IS SWEEEEEEET!!
WISH MINE LOOKED THAT NICE.BUT I AM HAPPY WITH MY $100 STEERING CONVERSION.

you know i really don't remember. i'll have to check it out tomorrow when i get home from work... i thought they were pretty even....

i have the alter-k-tion set up in mine..

abodyjoe said:
you know i really don't remember. i'll have to check it out tomorrow when i get home from work... i thought they were pretty even....

i have the alter-k-tion set up in mine..
HAVE YOU CHECKED THE DISTANCE THE RACK IS AHEAD OF THE SPINDLE?WHAT KIND OF SPINDLES DO U HAVE?

no i haven't gotten my lazy *** out there yet.. been working 12 hour night shift all week and with the heat i really haven't wanted to do anything..lol. keep reminding me and i will measure it... i have a modified mustang II style spindle. the rack is also a flaming river mustang II style also.... here are a ton of pictures from when i installed interested.. http://www.dodgecoronet.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=305

abodyjoe said:
no i haven't gotten my lazy *** out there yet.. been working 12 hour night shift all week and with the heat i really haven't wanted to do anything..lol. keep reminding me and i will measure it... i have a modified mustang II style spindle. the rack is also a flaming river mustang II style also.... here are a ton of pictures from when i installed interested.. http://www.dodgecoronet.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=305
i agree with u there.its been 103 deg.for the last 2 weeks.i have a new m1 intake to port and install along with 750 double pumper.and comp.engineering adjustable rear shocks.its been to hot to even mess with it.nice pictures on the front suspension/steering.how much weight did it save by eliminating the torsion bars and with the rack over stock?what does a kit like that cost?thanks for the pictures.really looks good.it looked to me like the tierods are pretty well straight across from the rackbody itself.looks great.wish i could have afforded something like that.but my wife gave birth to our twin girls 6 weeks ago.so my play time and money are now going somewhere else besides my car now.Ha ha..they are very much worth it.My first children.

looking for update pictures and information, am i not looking in the right place.

blackace said:
Here it is!!!!

Looks pretty sweet!!!!!!!!
wow well I see I was not the only one to try this with a stock k-frame I have not driven mine yet but looks like it will work ok. my pics are under jrat garageon this site.

The problem with switching ball joints is it throws out the designed "Ackerman" Therefore the turning radius would differ in the wrong direction as it turns. Is this the case on this chnge over?

Thx...
Ray

momopar said:
The problem with switching ball joints is it throws out the designed "Ackerman" Therefore the turning radius would differ in the wrong direction as it turns. Is this the case on this chnge over?

Thx...
Ray
It does I wonder what else could be done?? I am loosing some turning radais but thought I could live with that, but I do not think I can live with bad handling. Money is a issue as with most people, I wonder if some different ball joints could be the answer?

it did loose alittle radius turning.partially due to a spool in the rearend.but it seems to drive well. i am puttingin a clutch posi this spring and am going to start cruising this car as i am building a big block dart righ now.

-
Back