A body shock tower repair or replace

-

moparfanatic56

Reaction score
I have a 72 dart that had a 383 with fenderwell headers and apparently they had to cut out a portion of both shock towers to make them fit. The passenger side had quite a chunk taken out of it and the tower is a little shakey to say the least. What I need to know is should I repair or replace the shock tower. My first instinct is to repair it by welding in a steel patch. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

102_0278.JPG

102_0279.JPG

WHy don't you weld in front bage downbars and nix them all together.

I have a 72 dart that had a 383 with fenderwell headers and apparently they had to cut out a portion of both shock towers to make them fit. The passenger side had quite a chunk taken out of it and the tower is a little shakey to say the least. What I need to know is should I repair or replace the shock tower. My first instinct is to repair it by welding in a steel patch. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

View attachment 1715149952

View attachment 1715149953
At the very least would be to repair the tower and get the strength back. Not knowing if you plan to replace the inner fenders or additional support by way of tubing, I believe they will need help along with the front frame rails.

I have a few laying around if you need any they are in Rockford, IL.

At the very least would be to repair the tower and get the strength back. Not knowing if you plan to replace the inner fenders or additional support by way of tubing, I believe they will need help along with the front frame rails.
Yes the inner fenders are going back not planning on any tubing but not out of the question.

Yes the inner fenders are going back not planning on any tubing but not out of the question.
Just saying that because I'm looking at a 70 Duster that they removed the inner fenders for the same reason. I'll put back the inner fenders also.

You should look carefully at the those brackets where they attach to the frame rails. You may want to replace more than the brackets (shock towers).

You should look carefully at the those brackets where they attach to the frame rails. You may want to replace more than the brackets (shock towers).
Thanks this the type of info that i need instead of just looking at the obvious.

Weld in a patch and grind it down so you can't ever tell it was cut out. I welded my shock towers solidly to the inner fender well, because the spot welds started to tear out. That was with a Slant six in the car. They are flimsy feeling until solidly welded to the inner fenders.

Grab yourself a US Cartool chassis stiffening kit and install that while your at it, and you will end up with a nice base for further improvements.

Grab

looks to be a rust hole there in the frame as well. I'd replace the entire thing with a new rail and tower. Could patch it if you feel up to it but usually easier to replace the entire thing

-
Back