A body steering gear

-

bill richardson

Reaction score
Why in the ---- do steering gears for an A body cost so much. Mine works fine but car sat for many years and now seals have started leaking. It seems that whatever option I go with I'm going to spend between $400.00 to $500.00. I just want a stock power steering gear, what's so hard about that? I would just reseal it but haven't had the best luck with that in the past plus as much fun as it will be to remove and replace box I only want to do it once. Ok done complaining.

Check the sale ads for someone selling their steering gear cheap. Send it or pay them to ship it to either Steer and Gear or Firm Feel. Get them to rebuild it to modern specs - usually a Stage III. Get it back, remove your leaking gear and replace with the rebuilt unit one time and be done with it.

If you do not want leaks, swap to manual.

Every PS car and truck I have ever had has leaked.

I had the same issue with mine. Changed most of the o-rings and seals over the past 6 years and still seeping.

Just got it back from Steer and Gear last Friday. They quoted me 2 weeks but it ended up being 4 weeks. I went with their 'Sport' feel. Got it in today but not quite ready to drive it yet after a Magnum swap. $330 plus shipping both ways.

Why in the ---- do steering gears for an A body cost so much. Mine works fine but car sat for many years and now seals have started leaking. It seems that whatever option I go with I'm going to spend between $400.00 to $500.00. I just want a stock power steering gear, what's so hard about that? I would just reseal it but haven't had the best luck with that in the past plus as much fun as it will be to remove and replace box I only want to do it once. Ok done complaining.

Looks like Firm Feel is only about an hour and a half drive away from you. Just sayin'. They're in Vancouver WA, 98685.

I would go to manual but have a bad arm so need power steering. Options are limited. Might have to go to Firm Feel, but have to wait until I get back to Washington. I winter in Arizona and will be going back north in a few weeks. Just sucks they want so much, have changed a few on Chevys I've had and never over a hundred bucks, plus less work to change.

Check rock auto. Had mine done thru them,cost much less than elswere. Other than a pia getting in and out(w/headers) I am pleased.

Might try that, I have still yet to drive the car. Bought it mid October and brought it south with me. Have it in paint now and vinyl top installed. Was going to take it around the block the other day and saw steering fluid pouring onto shop floor. had I known I would have done steering gear while I had the engine out.

Only problem with RockAuto is all of that stuff is remanufactured. Sometimes that's fine, sometimes it's not. There are a couple threads on here about guys getting rebuild boxes from there that had quite a bit of play in the gear, just depends on what they got for a core. They don't replace worm gears as far as I know. Firm Feel and Steer and Gear will, but being in Washington I'd use Firm Feel.

Heck I wish I was that close to them, I'd definitely have paid them a visit or two with all of the parts I've bought from them.

I checked, Rockauto wants me to send my gear to them to build, 50/50 I get mine back. My son bought a throttle body from them and one injector leaked, wound up spending about a hundred buck to cure it. Don't know if I want to mess with them. Firm feel is $425.00.

I just got my power steering pump and box back from Lares. Rebuilt through Rock Auto. They did a great job. It took about a week, and the cost was $170 plus $10 shipping for the steering box. Wasn't too much of a hassle to remove. * remove steering column. *remove battery and tray. *remove starter. *remove pump. *remove driver side motor mount. *Jack up motor on driver side. Box can be removed from top. I rebuilt the coupler with parts from Steer and Gear, and got the lower column seal from Mancini Racing. I installed the box and starter today, and plan to finish up tomorrow.
IMAG0508.jpg

IMAG0510.jpg

IMAG0513.jpg

IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

Thanks, that doesn't sound so bad. I know how to remove, retired ase certified wrench. Just hate to do working around all that new paint.

Mopar boxes are expensive because they’re difficult to rebuild, especially if you want it done right. Firmfeel gives you a modern feel with no slop on center in a very finicky gear that was designed in the late 50’s. Saginaw boxes can be rebuilt much easier which means cheaper, hence the price difference for chevys.

@sgrip65 had an early A box rebuilt by Rock Auto (Lares) IIRC. As I recall he ended pulling it and having Steer and Gear rebuild one for him.

@sgrip65 had an early A box rebuilt by Rock Auto (Lares) IIRC. As I recall he ended pulling it and having Steer and Gear rebuild one for him.

Indeed, Lares reflects an OEM feel. I liken a 60's Mopar OEM Steering Gear to driving an over boosted Steering Gear on wet ice, but that is the way they were back in the day. As @65 Dartman described, I pulled the Rock Lares, and had Steer and Gear rebuild a stock OEM Early A gear for me to the Stage III standard. I used Steer and Gear Stage III in both my 65 Dart Charger Clone, and in my 66 Dart GT. They both drive out like a modern day vehicle. I am very impressed and extremely happy with Steer and Gear's product and workmanship. Yes, around $300.00 to $330.00 rebuilt with shipping both ways. Getting those gears in and out is quite the experience in working on these old beauties for certain. A day's work for sure. Lares does a fine job if one is happy with the 60's Mopar feel. My vote is for Steer and Gear Stage III out of Columbus as that is where I have the installed experience. Thanks. Jerry (sgrip65)

Bill if you need a core or one to rebuild yourself I've got a couple on the shelf out back.
South mountain phx. area.

Indeed, Lares reflects an OEM feel. I liken a 60's Mopar OEM Steering Gear to driving an over boosted Steering Gear on wet ice, but that is the way they were back in the day. As @65 Dartman described, I pulled the Rock Lares, and had Steer and Gear rebuild a stock OEM Early A gear for me to the Stage III standard. I used Steer and Gear Stage III in both my 65 Dart Charger Clone, and in my 66 Dart GT. They both drive out like a modern day vehicle. I am very impressed and extremely happy with Steer and Gear's product and workmanship. Yes, around $300.00 to $330.00 rebuilt with shipping both ways. Getting those gears in and out is quite the experience in working on these old beauties for certain. A day's work for sure. Lares does a fine job if one is happy with the 60's Mopar feel. My vote is for Steer and Gear Stage III out of Columbus as that is where I have the installed experience. Thanks. Jerry (sgrip65)
I got the box from Lares installed, and it works great. The stock unit is over boosted for sure. One finger steering. I would much prefer the Steer and Gear unit stage 111 feel, but my car is an original 32K mile car, unmolested, and I want to keep it as bone stock as I can.

These boxes must be made of gold.
A) because they are so pricey.
B) because they weigh so friggin much!!

I just removed mine to do some work in the engine bay and I couldn't believe how much it weighed!?!

A mag did a washer mod to increase the firmness in a stock P/S box. Just stack a few shim sized washers to decrease power assist.

-
Back