A body tie rod end to center link issue

-

Confusedcuda

Reaction score
Hello all, rebuilding suspension on my 68 barracuda and I am having trouble with getting the inner tie rod end to go into the center link. I have started on passenger side and when I went to push the inner tie rod into the steering centerlink I noticed the threads don't stick through enough and I cant get it to push through or tap in to start the nut. I believe the tie rod end is tapered and I have tried using a little C clamp, but no go. Don't want to mess anything up, so right now my plan is to take driver side tie rod ends and sleeves off and the center link out and use a vise to squeeze them in, then put it all on all assembled. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

There is no reason the correct parts should need persuasion to assemble.
What car?
What year?
What modifications?
Did you piece it together or was it all together at one time?
Do you have the old parts?

Did all the old parts fit correctly. Any chance you are putting the tie rod end into the idler arm holes.

Any chance you are putting the taper in in the wrong direction.

I would take the tie rod ends and center link to the parts store and compare to other some correct parts.

Last edited:
try checking the position of the taper ends like dana67dart mention also check to see if the centerlink is on backwards. the driver side tie rod position is different from the passenger side.

try checking the position of the taper ends like dana67dart mention also check to see if the centerlink is on backwards. the driver side tie rod position is different from the passenger side.
Excellent maybe I am going backwards will check thanks

Sounds to me like you have either switched center link, or are trying to put the thing in from the wrong side. Or, you have an oddball end off something else. Does the direction you are attempting to insert it match the other studs? Otherwise pull the opposite end tie rod end and compare the ends and or test fit

You can switch center links between 67--72 and the 73/ later, BUT there are several pieces that MUST "go together" regardless of the actual year of the car. Idler arm, the pitman arm (and the box, larger/ smaller splines) and the center link must all be either pre 73 or 73/ later as the insertion angle of the tapers is pretty much opposite

-
Back