A/C and heater push button controls removal

-

Dancutlass

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I just bought a 1971 dart with AC and the controls won't work properly.
I wanted to remove them, to be able to inspect and repair everything, but I'm afraid of breaking anything.
I loosened the two screws in the top corners of the panel, but it still seems like it can't be pulled out.
Do you have any recommendations on removing the radio and ac controls?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Hi everybody,

I just bought a 1971 dart with AC and the controls won't work properly.
I wanted to remove them, to be able to inspect and repair everything, but I'm afraid of breaking anything.
I loosened the two screws in the top corners of the panel, but it still seems like it can't be pulled out.
Do you have any recommendations on removing the radio and ac controls?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Hello,
Just came across your post. This is not the easiest task but it's not too bad to do if you are willing to remove some stuff first. First step, remove your front bench seat. Your back will thank you later. The easiest way with the least amount of grief is to remove the vents under the dash, the air manifold under the vents, the glove box liner, and the radio. Disconnecting the tubes for the defrost will give you enough room to remove the radio. With the radio and glove box liner out, you'll have easier access to the nuts that secure your heater controls on the back side of the dash. The radio needs to come out the bottom side of the dash. Be careful when removing the radio so you don't bend your heat adjust slider wire. I bent mine and it was a real pain to straighten it. On my car, the radio / heater control bezel has two studs that are molded in and secured along with the heater control. The bezel would need to be removed too before the heater controls can be removed.

This is also a good time to replace any vacuum hoses that go through the firewall. My words of advice would be to splice any vacuum lines and not try to replace the entire line. They seem to be molded into a connector that attaches to the back of the controller. Attached are photos of my car.

Troy

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

-
Back