A/C help.

-

Peter L

Reaction score
Good morning folks. Trying to get the A/C working in my '69 Barracuda. Previous owner removed all the under hood pieces. Some of the parts came in the trunk. I have the compressor and all the engine brackets and one of the lines. I can get the condenser and receiver dryer through the aftermarket.
My question is: is there a company that offers reproductions of the steel and crimped rubber lines?
Thanks, Pete.

There's several ways around making lines. You might be able to get factory replicas I'm not sure. You can buy line and connections and take them and have them crimped or buy an expensive crimper... Also it sounds like you're trying to puzzle together an old r12 system and r12 isn't easy to come by.. not even sure if it's legal anymore.. me personally I've done several of the vintage air systems and they're okay for my customers. Personally I've done aftermarket generic cold master systems on both of my vehicles that were 1/3 of the price and twice the air conditioning.. they come with a generic over length of line and twice the BTUs... The biggest factor is the compressor brackets for the new style compressor. CVF racing has kits if he needs something direct fit but I just custom made my own...

Thanks for the input. I'd really like to keep the engine bay looking stock if at all possible.
Going to Columbus in a couple of weeks, so maybe I'll talk to some of the vendors, or other guys with factory A/C cars. Worst case ontario I may have to go the vintage air route.
Thanks again!

The old stuff will work with R134A. I don't know of anyone that can make factory looking hoses. You will have to hope you can find NOS somewhere.

My customers with vintage Air pay somewhere between $1,500 to 1700 plus for their vintage Air unit and get about 13,500 BTUs... I put an aftermarket cold master and both my vehicles and it was $600 for 23,000 BTUs.. My wife says it's too cold but that just warms my heart...

I had Original Air Original Air Group restore my hoses and supply a new R134a compatible drier (p/n 12-300) You will also need a R134a expansion valve. All assuming you are converting to 134a. Let me know if you have more questions.
Jim
IMG_9471_1024x768.jpeg
IMG_9472_1024x768.jpeg

That's great. Thanks Jim for the info and the detailed pictures. This project is just getting off the ground so I will be in touch. I'm sure I will have some more questions.
Pete.

Converting an original A/C car to the new vintage stuff can be problematic. The firewalls are different, the new stuff is for a non A/C car.

Converting an original A/C car to the new vintage stuff can be problematic. The firewalls are different, the new stuff is for a non A/C car.
That's good to know, thanks. Will hit some swap meets and start hunting down original parts.

I have the Master-Cool crimper to make my own. Buy on ebay and resell when done. Otherwise, buy Oeticker stepless ear clamps for a pro look. Cut and peel off the ferrules to re-use fittings. Buy barrier hose on ebay. HC refrigerant is best, Duracool or Envirosafe, since R-134A is outlawed.

You can get decent hose crimpers for under 100 bucks for the manual ones and under 150 for the hydraulic ones and make your own hoses. My friend Matt does installs all the time and I run down the road and charge them for him. They do a nice job. He has one of the hand held hydraulic ones. I think he paid like 129 bucks for it. It can pay for itself in just one job for a friend or someone looking for help. Just a thought.

since R-134A is outlawed.
R-134 is not outlawed. Just can't be used in OEM NEW cars. Can still be used for retrofit from R-12, and to service R134 vehicles.
Come on Bill. You must own stock in Duracool the way you keep promoting it. It does work, but personally, I wouldn't use it, and if a vehicle came in my shop with it in the system, and I had to open the system, I would send the customer away. I don't have the proper recovery equipment to empty the system, which is required by law. But lets not open this can of worms, again.

Last edited:
R-134 is not outlawed. Just can't be used in OEM NEW cars. Can still be used for retrofit from R-12, and to service R134 vehicles.
Come on Bill. You must own stock in Duracool the way you keep promoting it. It does work, but personally, I wouldn't use it, and if a vehicle came in my shop with it in the system, and I had to open the system, I would send the customer away. I don't have the proper recovery equipment to empty the system, which is required by law. But lets not open this can of worms, again.
I think the outlawed the sale of r134 in California and I know they did in Washington too. My friend has to come over here to Oregon to buy it at the parts stores...

I think the outlawed the sale of r134 in California and I know they did in Washington too. My friend has to come over here to Oregon to buy it at the parts stores...
I can't say about state laws, so that is entirely possible. I was talking about federal law. I haven't looked lately, but if 134 is outlawed by state law, I wonder what refrigerant is legal to use in those states in place of 134. The EPA has a list of approved refrigerants

I can't say about state laws, so that is entirely possible. I was talking about federal law. I haven't looked lately, but if 134 is outlawed by state law, I wonder what refrigerant is legal to use in those states in place of 134. The EPA has a list of approved refrigerants
Likely just not available to the general public at the parts store per state...

Come on Bill. You must own stock in Duracool the way you keep promoting it. It does work, but personally, I wouldn't use it ..
I was being brief, not writing a thesis on refrigerants. Sure you can still buy R-134A, but is it the best choice for a retrofit today? Millions of cars use HC refrigerants without a single report of the mythical fires or "explosions" which unschooled AC techs rant about. Is Duracool a public company with stock?

-
Back