A/C problems

-

tiltsix

Reaction score
The a/c on my 73 duster blows cool when ideling ,but warms up as soon as I start driving.Any ideas greatly appreciated.Im taking this to mopar nats and would like to have A/C...Thanks to any and all replys................................................jeff

Is your expansion valve freezing? A set of gauges would tell you if the high and low sides dont equalize after 2 minutes or so of shutting down.

That would be moisture in the system, a good evac and refill should help. The place should be able to reclaim your precious R-12 and put it back in.

it has been converted to r 134 was working fine till I had an o ring go bad.i replaced the o ring vacuumedsystem and recharged.It hasent worked right since......................................Jeff

Drive it enough to determine it's "warming" then stop as quickly as you can and feel the suction tube see if it is good and cold. If not you have a refrigeration problem. If so make sure the vacuum/ blend doors in the unit are not dropping out. Remember, your vacuum is always less when driving.

Also some of the Mopar compressors had a suction pressure regulator setup at/ in the compressor. I don't remember just how those work but that could be a problem

Also, I doubt this would give you cooling at idle, but too much oil in the system will coat the evap and reduce cooling.

The above mentioned moisture in the system is a good suspect. What happens is moisture freezes at the metering point.....orifice/ txv because that is where "the cold" LOL happens. Ices up, plugs, warms up, melts, then works again for a short time and does it all over again.

Bad clutch? I just changed out my Ramcharger. It was doing the same thing. Something else to check.

How much did you put in? It should be about 80% of what the label says and it will have bubbles in the sight glass.

-
Back