A/C with aftermarket heads and intake

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues running factory A/C on the A body cars with aftermarket heads and intake? I have procomp heads and airgap intake. Debating if its worth adding everything or bypassing the A/C. thanks

If the Procomp heads have the factory bolt holes in the front which I would think they would, than the compressor should bolt on. IIRC the factory RV2 compressor also would have had a stabilizer bracket that went to the drivers side of intake. You might not find that boss for the bolt on your intake. You might be able to get away without it or fab your own. Depending on your cam size you might have to put a solenoid on the carb to kick up the idle when you switch on that beast of a pump. You also upgrade to a smaller Sanden type compressor. Those RV2's take about 15 HP to run.

I am doing this swap as we speak.
I am running w5 heads and indy intake.
I got classic auto air.
I have made my own bracket for mounting the standen compressor and tossed the bracket from the kit. The bracket uses the bolts on top of the water pump. Also I needed more clearance for the bypass hose because the thermostat sits higher on the indy intake.

But this is far from stock

340doc- 12 HP that's quite a bit. Motor has 502 at the crank so im sure I wont miss 12hp but what exactly is a sanden type compressor? Off a later dart?

dodgeddifferent2- I will have to look into the classic auto air kit. Don't sound too bad with what you have going on.

I am doing this swap as we speak.
I am running w5 heads and indy intake.
I got classic auto air.
I have made my own bracket for mounting the standen compressor and tossed the bracket from the kit. The bracket uses the bolts on top of the water pump. Also I needed more clearance for the bypass hose because the thermostat sits higher on the indy intake.

But this is far from stock
I hope you will be posting some photos of your A/C installation!

I added the entire factory air setup from a 71 dart on my 69 cuda. The factory compressor fit on my 360 with an ld340 intake with stock brackets. Lot of work, but turned out nice. I am old and soft so I love my ac.

20190405_081144.jpg
20190405_081219.jpg
20190405_081153.jpg
20190405_081227.jpg
20190405_081138.jpg
Here are some photos of my version on mounts.
The heater box they sent i believe is a bit bigger but small sacrifice.

20190405_081138.jpg

Here are some photos of my version on mounts.
The heater box they sent i believe is a bit bigger but small sacrifice.
View attachment 1715315190

Thanks for the photos! Looks like ya just need the propper dual groove pulleys now. Can you tell me what part number you bought for the Sanden Compressor/clutch assy, as well as the Classic Air kit #?

Classic air sku# 20-270-67
I ended up talking to them on the phone to make sure I got the correct parts

Everything came in the kit.
Pulley runs off the power steering pump and crank. A gates 7570 belt is suppose to run (57 inches around pulleys)

Classic air sku# 20-270-67
I ended up talking to them on the phone to make sure I got the correct parts

Everything came in the kit.
Pulley runs off the power steering pump and crank. A gates 7570 belt is suppose to run (57 inches around pulleys)

Awesome, thank you! Ideally, I'd like to buy just the compressor first and work on mocking up the brackets to line everything up. any chance you have the just the compressor model #? sorry to be a pain!

I should have the model number on the box or even the compressor. Next time I am at the shop I will look closer

Oh wait... looking at the one pic of the compressor and a quick google search
Sanden
SD7H13

For my build, I bought the aluminum pulley setup from CVS Racing and got the Sanden compressor with it. Everything fit spot-on and the set up looks great. I'm running the Edelbrock heads and an RPM Air Gap intake. No issues.
20190123_145730.jpg

For my build, I bought the aluminum pulley setup from CVS Racing and got the Sanden compressor with it. Everything fit spot-on and the set up looks great. I'm running the Edelbrock heads and an RPM Air Gap intake. No issues.
View attachment 1715315834

Thanks for the info. I'm kinda leaning in that direction. The only difference with all the research I've been doing, I might go with the serpentine belt setup. Its a little pricey but better value than the March pully setup,. Did you buy everything directly from them? What alternator and power steering pump are you running? thanks

View attachment 1715315834
Looks like the Sanden mounts a little high with the CVF bracket which I like because it clears the intake. Does it still fit under a flat hood?

It fits fine under the hood, no problems. Here's a pic of the CVF pulleys and the Sanden compressor with the engine on the stand while doing my test fit up. Only difference in the final mounting is I did not have the 90 amp alternator installed, still had the old one.
20171204_150952.jpg

As for the power steering pump and alternator, I bought a Tuff Stuff power steering pump. The alternator is a Power Master 100 amp unit, it even came with a test sheet showing output at different RPMs. I will say one thing, the CVF pieces are top quality all the way and fit up was perfect.

Thanks for the pic and info.
As for the power steering pump and alternator, I bought a Tuff Stuff power steering pump. The alternator is a Power Master 100 amp unit, it even came with a test sheet showing output at different RPMs. I will say one thing, the CVF pieces are top quality all the way and fit up was perfect.
I was looking at the CVF stuff for a/c brackets and their pulleys and other brackets . Sounds like they make good products I can put to use on my build. Always good to hear from people who actually use the product. Thanks for taking time to respond.

-
Back