A+E = Slap Stick Shifter for A-Body

-

hemi446

Reaction score
It took a while but I finally got the A body shift handle to work on a E body slap stick shifter assembly.
It takes modifying the pivot point for the E body shift and adapting the shifter cable from the A body shifter and making a new metal shift rod to fit the E body shifter assembly.
It also takes modifying the shift rod from the stock A body shifter making it line up with the modified E body shift point.
The only thing left is to go to the track and try it out.

74F42353-F56F-4474-BC9E-3F433F45D932.jpeg

27D5C1A1-86C5-42D3-8A69-9E80FCD7411D.jpeg

57CE66F9-29FA-4369-9A51-34F3180DF3CF.jpeg

EC0B7ACD-1711-4872-AB55-29F7D37A6E76.jpeg

4DCF13C6-E89E-4E70-84CB-49981DA3BEBB.jpeg

E302AC6F-C9B0-4E42-B157-DAE2A806B5AE.jpeg

You might just have a new business on your hands if it works well and people want these. I may want one for my sons car if it works like a factory piece, and your interested. I may be able to supply a B/E body shifter for the conversion.

Gotta love a factory ratchet shifter.

How well does it work? I may be interested in sending mine to you to mod. If you dont want to mod it, can you post a DIY so people can follow what you did to make this.

It works great. I don't have time to do the mods myself right now. This took me 30-40 hours to get it working right. I will have to see what pictures my son has since I did it for his car and he took all the pictures.
What I can tell you is you will need a working E-body shifter assembly with the round handle. And a handle, shift cable for inside the handle, the shift knob with the metal button which works better than the plastic button, you also need the spring for the A body shift knob.
There is a lot of trial and error on making a new lower rod for the slap stick part. you need the original rod out of the E-body shifter to use as a pattern for the bottom of it. I used a piece of spring steel to make the new rod and threaded it so it could threaded into the metal piece on the bottom A-body shift cable.

This post could take me hours to right everything up. If you want to know it would be easier just to give me a call some time. I would be happy to try an explain it. Anyone interested PM me and we can set it up. In the mean time I talk to my son and see what pictures he has. I'm happy to help anyone interested.

Gotta love a factory ratchet shifter.

All 'hind-sight' today but just another corporate decision leaving us to wonder why A-bodies were 'alienated' (from B's then later, E-bodies) - ie: SBP wheels, 9" brakes. (sigh) :soapbox:

-
Back