A few minor issues while chang'n the trans fluid today, so look'n for suggestions

-

HMBCUDA

Reaction score
Hope this isn't anything to be worried about, but thought it was strange...Bought an AC Delco filter/gasket set,(FYI: paid more for it, (little US Flag), but ended up "made in china" anyway ), (from rock auto),
-The filter was quite a bit larger than the one I removed. it had one hole,(for fluid) on under side.
*the one i removed had two holes(one a little larger than the other)
DSCF4916.JPG
DSCF4915.JPG
DSCF4921.JPG

The other Issue I have is that one pan hole is stripped, took me a while to get it out, (pried it down with a screwdriver while turning, not good)
Any easy fix for this, besides a heli-coil? (working on the ground and not much room to do it right, & don't want to screw it up more than it is)
any good Mc Guyver solutions? Thin metal strip in the hole trick? (& gum, Ha!)
- oh, and was thinking of using a bit of gasket silicone around the pan holes on the gasket.
- good idea or waist of time?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Last edited:
The other Issue I have is that one pan hole is stripped, took me a while to get it out, (pried it down with a screwdriver while turning, not good)
Any easy fix for this, besides a heli-coil?

I had one hole like that, I picked up a metric bolt just a scosh larger and worked it in, it seems to be doing fine.

- oh, and was thinking of using a bit of gasket silicone around the pan holes on the gasket.
- good idea or waist of time?

A bit of sealant wont hurt anything, just be sure not to allow it into the pan.

Make sure the holes around the pan are flat.

The differences in the filter is typical for todays aftermarket parts. Correct for application as late as 2001 also works in 50 year earlier application so that's the only part they need to produce.
Some engineer somewhere determined that the second hole into the filter of earlier applications wasn't req'd. We accept that determination, "OK then" , "If you say so".

The 2 hole filter is for use on the early transmission up to about 1965 where they also had a rear pump. If you have a push button transmission, dont use the filter with 1 hole. Some aftermarket companies deleted the second hole in the filter for the intended use on transmissions without a rear pump.

I would try get the proper filter. I take it ur trans is 1965? and older? Or maybe u could make another hole in it. The other hole is for the rear pump. TF Patty in Seattle may have what u need. Kim

I had one hole like that, I picked up a metric bolt just a scosh larger and worked it in, it seems to be doing fine.

A bit of sealant wont hurt anything, just be sure not to allow it into the pan.

Make sure the holes around the pan are flat.

That's a good idea, I'll try it! maybe i'll go one further and get a tap the same size & cut new threads. And, yes am going to flatten the pan, some spots are not flat any more. and will put a bit of seal around the bolt holes.
Thank You!
What do you think about that filter? it bolted up fine, and the gasket(s) are 727 and 904,(got both) Think it's made for the next gen. trans with the overdrive? (forgot what # they are...518's i think), I can't imagine it causing an issue, but i'm no engineer. I'm thinking larger filter surface might be a good thing.

Your replacement filter is the proper one.
The stone-old dirty 'thing' that came off it is the wrong one.

Running a 2-hole filter on a '65 or newer transmission means the trans has been drinking partially unfiltered oil through the 2nd hole (although it is clamped against the valvebody somewhat).

Your replacement filter is the proper one.
The stone-old dirty 'thing' that came off it is the wrong one.

Running a 2-hole filter on a '65 or newer transmission means the trans has been drinking partially unfiltered oil through the 2nd hole (although it is clamped against the valvebody somewhat).
That figures, Ha! I was waiting for someone to comment on the condition of that thing! I was surprised too, that the oil/filter was so freek'n dirty. The thing has been sitting,(or at least feels like), for most of the time since the trans. & engine rebuild back in '80. feels like i only drove it 10,000 miles in the past 40 years. wrecked twice, once by me/another by hit and run (no insurance that covered my car), mechanical things sidelined it for years until divorce/move force me to get on it and deal with that issue. Retired now, and getting back into getting it street-able again.
Thank You for letting me know that this filter is correct!

some of today’s cars just use sealant on the trans pans. If some gets inside, the filter will catch it.
Oversize bolt and a tap will fix the stripped bolt. Refrain from using power tools. Dont have a torque spec, but it isnt much.
Like all you can do with a nut driver.

I like to contact cement gasket to the pan. Thats all i use for sealant.

some of today’s cars just use sealant on the trans pans. If some gets inside, the filter will catch it.
Oversize bolt and a tap will fix the stripped bolt. Refrain from using power tools. Dont have a torque spec, but it isnt much.
Like all you can do with a nut driver.

I like to contact cement gasket to the pan. Thats all i use for sealant.

Thanks TJ, I ended up deciding to try and install a heli-coil, because i actually found that i had 2 striped holes right next to each other. I hadn't install one before, so I was uneasy about it, especially since I was work'n from under the car with about a foot of room. BUT, happy to say, it was a piece of pie, just took it slow with the tap, and the coil screwed right in. the kit was a bit pricey at $25 had to buy the drill bit separate, (21/64"), added a few more bucks, but $'s well spent i think, and all the bolts will be the OEM size.
DSCF4922.JPG

*for others that find this post with same Questions,etc. Here are the torque specs for all, and the conversion to foot lbs. (I only have a ft.lb torque wrench)

Last edited:
My 1/4” air ratchet goes to 19 ft lbs.
its too much for those pan bolts.
Been doing this all my life, its a habit to learn what needs a torque wrench and what doesent. Heli-coil is the correct repair,not the cheapest though.
As i suggested,a nut driver but i guess a short grip on a ratchet would get it closer to 12.5.

My 1/4” air ratchet goes to 19 ft lbs.
its too much for those pan bolts.
Been doing this all my life, its a habit to learn what needs a torque wrench and what doesent. Heli-coil is the correct repair,not the cheapest though.
As i suggested,a nut driver but i guess a short grip on a ratchet would get it closer to 12.5.
Yep! BTW: Nice job on your '65? barracuda! I'm jealous of your shop! ;) i've got to get going on my shtuff, (stalling the crawling under my car deal, looking at your build), got to get-er-done though...I'm out.

Anyone ever use just 1 helicoil out of a kit then wash the tap, blacken it with a sharpie, and return it for refund? Don't know if that would fly having 2 coils missing.
Glad to hear you fixed it right way so the next guy doesn't have to note where the different bolt(s) belong.

Anyone ever use just 1 helicoil out of a kit then wash the tap, blacken it with a sharpie, and return it for refund? Don't know if that would fly having 2 coils missing.
Glad to hear you fixed it right way so the next guy doesn't have to note where the different bolt(s) belong.
Come on, really? Thats a bad move and the next customer pays the price.
I buy the kits as needed, snd charge appropriately for each coil i use.
For myself, i have spent thousands on tools, long before i decided to go into business.

Wouldn't doubt it, but they do sell the "tools" & Coils separate,(at my local Ace Hardware), but the tap alone was $23+
...and the next guy might be me...old-timer's kick'n in, and I'll be wonder WTF?! the next time i go to change the oil. ;) I might have another hole that's on the way out,(so good to have extra coils), I was scared to tighten it any more when I installed the pan, all others torqued to specs, but that one,(there's always one), that didn't feel right. I may have to drill and tap through the pan hole and run the coil through, I think it's do-able.

I never knew the coils were available separately. Thanks for that.

I would try get the proper filter. I take it ur trans is 1965? and older? Or maybe u could make another hole in it. The other hole is for the rear pump. TF Patty in Seattle may have what u need. Kim
Hay Kim,
No it was the wrong filter, My trans is the original one, '68, (I've had it since '78), Think the guy that built the trans, (in '80) might have installed the wrong filter, or I may have even done it if I changed the fluid at some point.,(but the looks of that thing, don't think i did, Ha!)

I haven't used heli-coil in years unless your talking about the brand name in general terms. A self tapping insert is the way to go. They're made for soft steel, aluminum and even plastic. A good local parts store or jobber has them by singles for a couple bucks. Added... in harder steels you have to tap first unless the hole is really worn out.

Last edited:
I prefer the brass screen type filters. They flow much greater and do not stop up. JMO.

Chrysler actually recommends the Dacron filter. I have seen a few newer trucks have issues with the factory filter plugging up. I use the Dacron in everything other than a race tranny. Kim

Chrysler actually recommends the Dacron filter. I have seen a few newer trucks have issues with the factory filter plugging up. I use the Dacron in everything other than a race tranny. Kim
Dacron? Is that what I installed? (not changing it, it's a done deal now), but for others, is it different than what you get when ordering from a parts supplier? Not sure what the filter was made of, but wasn't happy it had "made in china" stamped on it. Thought AC Delco was a quality USA brand.
Stalling the crawling...again...prep'n the under carriage for US Car tool sub-frame connectors, too much fun with a foot o room, Ha! i'm out.

Last edited:
Wouldn't doubt it, but they do sell the "tools" & Coils separate,(at my local Ace Hardware), but the tap alone was $23+
...and the next guy might be me...old-timer's kick'n in, and I'll be wonder WTF?! the next time i go to change the oil. ;) I might have another hole that's on the way out,(so good to have extra coils), I was scared to tighten it any more when I installed the pan, all others torqued to specs, but that one,(there's always one), that didn't feel right. I may have to drill and tap through the pan hole and run the coil through, I think it's do-able.

Yep, that one screw that didn't feel right striped before 150 in lb. torque. (bought an "eTork" torque wrench, Highly recommend it), I was able to install a heli-coil through the stock trans pan.

-
Back