A few pics of barracuda project.

-
Also some pictures of the body of the car in black sealer.

0AF160B3-A238-499B-8381-99511589BD49.jpeg

819D0717-8762-4E09-AFDE-A3E7865FD649.jpeg

ECECB12F-3897-4C8A-8101-D0891F72F872.jpeg

F5DD32B4-556F-4301-8D90-61475712D705.jpeg

Went through this thread start to finish, excellent! Going to be a very nice Mopar when finished.
Thanks for sharing with us.

Hi
Went through this thread start to finish, excellent! Going to be a very nice Mopar when finished.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Thanks for the compliment, it been taking longer then I hoped. Just want to do the best job I can, with limited skill and experience.

Paint the differential in the colour of the car. Turned out pretty good, but the pictures don’t show the true colour. It’s a little darker then in the photos.

583C66C2-2AA3-4402-89D9-92B29073A96C.jpeg

A12ED429-E81E-4370-8ECF-E0CB93D0E773.jpeg

268ECB0E-FB31-4415-BF7E-60A1C3FC07FF.jpeg

Paint the differential in the colour of the car. Turned out pretty good, but the pictures don’t show the true colour. It’s a little darker then in the photos.

View attachment 1715247721

View attachment 1715247722

View attachment 1715247723
---
That looks excellent!

Buford do you plan on racing this Barracuda at all? Tell you why I ask. I have a 64 Belvedere that I bracket race. I flattened and curled my perches, they were not boxed. My 60's went away, the car was porpoising, leapfrog launches, bust a ujoint and yoke and screwed my beautiful aluminum driveshaft. Frustrating as hell to find too, lots of work to replace, reset pinion angle, etc.
If you plan on getting on it you may want to think about boxing those perches just in case.

Check the deformed perch.
IMG_3070.JPG

Wish I would have knowing this before, I got to this stage. Yes I want to race it a little, mostly Street class. Do you have pictures of the perched boxed in?

I have a couple, not the best job, was a "between race days" repair. Check the pics.

Found the problem when doing a visible overall inspection, noticed some space at the front between the perch and leaf. Doesn't look like much but when you launch the housing rolls back, pinion angle goes bezerk.
IMG_3057.JPG

You can see the small gusset that I had installed, this was on the front. 1/4" flat, cut to fit like a gusset, to keep the perch from collapsing. I did the front on the right side as well, just because the right side perch was flattened far worse than the left side.
What you see here is that I'm in the process of installing ladder bars. I decided to leave the spring perches on the housing in case I may go back to leafs at some point. I never hear of people going to leafs from ladders though..
IMG_3348.JPG

You may be able to see the rear gussets in the pic below. The ends of the perch are wide open and that allows them to squash (on the back side). On my Camaro I have a metal strap that wraps over the axle tube down to each end of the perch.
IMG_3357.JPG

Thanks for the pics, I might strip the paint off and do some welding. Would I have to put the diff in a jig when I weld it? Not sure if it will warp or not, durning the welding. Like your idea on this, and by the way you have a wicked ride there, nice too see.

Thanks for the pics, I might strip the paint off and do some welding. Would I have to put the diff in a jig when I weld it? Not sure if it will warp or not, durning the welding. Like your idea on this, and by the way you have a wicked ride there, nice too see.
---
No jig, nothing will move, easy upgrade. You could fab up a nice fitting gusset in there, your just keeping the rear of the perch from crushing. Just a paint touch up afterwards. And if your not running slicks you likely wouldn't have a problem anyways.

I didn't notice a drivershaft hoop under your car. I built this one. It tied and made the car noticeably more rigid. Can't wait to see that Barracuda finished, love the spoiler work you did.

IMG_1794.JPG

There will be a drive shaft hoop, I welded 2 “ sq tubing to the frame. Later I will make the hoop, just want to make sure the is enough clearance for the drive shaft. Here a pic of the sq tubing brackets.

044C9A9C-B7FD-4E16-8072-084F7C538D05.png

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place....but the loop is normally installed (not more than) 6" rearward from the FRONT u joint.

Your (amazing) car and your call....of course.

Yes I read that the location is normally in the front, to late. Copied mine from a buddies 55 Chevy with a four link and the hoop on his car was near the back. His set up was made that way from the company he bought it from.Will post a picture of his in couple of days.

The one in my silver HemiDuster is in the same appox location as yours.

1) it is a street car

2) like your friends car, used as part of the structure of the 4 link/4-bar

The one in my silver HemiDuster is in the same appox location as yours.

1) it is a street car

2) like your friends car, used as part of the structure of the 4 link/4-bar

Yes Denny this is going to a Street car, only racing on occasion.
My friends car drive shaft hoop is used as part of the structure, with the 4 link.
Also your front parts are getting painted, when my car done next week. Going with a golden bronze colour, will post pics when done.

Yes Denny this is going to a Street car, only racing on occasion.
My friends car drive shaft hoop is used as part of the structure, with the 4 link.
Also your front parts are getting painted, when my car done next week. Going with a golden bronze colour, will post pics when done.

To be legal at an nhra track, you`ll have to have it w/in 6" of the front u joint. I lost a driveshaft on the finish line in the old hemi car , believe
me , both will be a big help if u ever lose one !

To be legal at an nhra track, you`ll have to have it w/in 6" of the front u joint. I lost a driveshaft on the finish line in the old hemi car , believe
me , both will be a big help if u ever lose one !

Thanks for the great advise and reminder F-Bob

I have only two items left to build for the Flash restoration, wheelie bars and drive shaft loop. I will build two front loops and add a front one to the silver HemiDuster before spring.

Car engine compartment,and interior sprayed in colour yesterday. Looks pretty good only complaint is some dust particles in the paint. Since I used a single stage, I can’t wet sand them out. Next will paint the inside of all other parts; doors, fenders and trunk. Hood will be paint in hot rod black colour.

0A00A7B4-A091-4DD5-986C-E6FD68FA4E89.jpeg

6F30E6A8-F922-490E-BF9A-79FCC3A50E85.jpeg

D9ED46F3-0607-4EDC-8A8C-FF0FBA4CB773.jpeg

A6DC9B72-4EA9-4776-8190-29EC48BBB99F.jpeg

C4232765-B55B-4BDD-9F21-38C5AD53D20F.jpeg

Painted back side of doors,fenders, and trunk in there final colour. The pictures show lots of glare from the spray both lights, but they turned out nice.

A5196FE2-A9B4-4A33-8A2F-46A6F0938698.jpeg

03A0CA89-ED65-4315-ACD4-C6F96B34A204.jpeg

B4392214-B683-48AB-9C9F-EC165368E1B2.jpeg

8CA8AD87-5DF6-4AE4-A183-20E50B168EF9.jpeg

We suffer from the same disease, wanting the areas people do not see finished out and painted as nice as where people do see.

Shortly....no more parts cleaning and sanding dust. Enjoy!

We suffer from the same disease, wanting the areas people do not see finished out and painted as nice as where people do see.

Shortly....no more parts cleaning and sanding dust. Enjoy!
Yes like you said before, it’s paying attention to the little details. Thats what make the car yours. When I seen the trunk after it was finished be painted, I seen a few blemishes in the paint. So I ask my painter what make this happen, he say sand from sandblasting. Paint gun must have distributed these grains, that were hiding some where. Then he say to me,I can repainted it if you want to sand them out. Four hour later the trunk is sanded again, and ready for paint. He also mentioned that no one will see it anyway, but I would alway know it there. Will post pictures later today of the trunk sanded again. Yes I can’t wait until the enjoy part arrives. Lol

Same thing (after hours of my prep work) with the single stage gloss black paint on the Flash inner areas. Almost like it was painted in a barn although I know better.
I hate single stage for that reason....no easy fix.

I re-sanded / scuffed everything but when re-painted, they went semi-gloss.

Last edited:
Same thing (after hours of my prep work) with the single stage gloss black paint on the Flash inner areas. Almost like it was painted in a barn although I know better.
I hate single stage for that reason....no easy fix.

I re-sanded / scuffed everything but when re-painted, they went semi-gloss.
Yes I agree, single stage is not very forgiving. That’s why i will being using base clear for the rest of the project. Even when we reshoot the trunk I will paint base clear this time. Added a few more pics of sanded trunk and how some of the mods turned out in paint. Having problems loading photos will try later.

-
Back