A Good Article About The Drawbacks Of Electric Vehicles

-
Electric cars most likely have a net-negative impact on the environment too. The story about them being clean & green needs to be openly discussed. Since they use lithium batteries the production and disposal of those is problematic. Mining lithium requires heavy machinery that emits carbon dioxide. It requires about 500,000 gallons of water, which is evaporated, to produce one metric ton of lithium. Trees and farm ground are removed to create lithium mines and dangerous by-products are released. The true story needs to be openly reviewed and presented.
The Hellaphant in the Room! BOOM

Interesting that most people are fine with using lithium batteries in their daily lives except when it comes to electric cars. If you are dead set against lithium mines take a stand and stop using lithium batteries.

Last edited:
Interesting that most people are fine with using lithium batteries in there daily lives except when it comes to electric cars. If you are dead set against lithium mines take a stand and stop using lithium batteries.
But think of it this way. One car's worth of lithium batteries is 2 lifetimes of batteries to power my string trimmer, cell phone, and Fit Bit watch.

But think of it this way. One car's worth of lithium batteries is 2 lifetimes of batteries to power my string trimmer, cell phone, and Fit Bit watch.
Think of it this way. You are choosing where lithium batteries can and can't be used. Who gets to decide where the line is drawn. Does your right to have a lithium battery in a fitbit or string trimmer trump my right to have a lithium battery somewhere else? Should any lithium be wasted in kids toys? Should each individual have a lithium quota of X amount to be used however they want? If the quantity of lithium being mined is the problem what is an acceptable amount of mining? Who should get it and where can it be used? Who decides all this?

Last edited:
Think of it this way. You are choosing where lithium batteries can and can't be used. Who gets to decide where the line is drawn. Does you right to have a lithium battery in a fitbit or string trimmer trump my right to have a lithium battery somewhere else? Should any lithium be wasted in kids toys? Should each individual have a lithium quota of X amount to be used however they want? If the quantity of lithium being mined is the problem what is an acceptable amount of mining? Who should get it and where can it be used? Who decides all this?
It seems to be the size of the automotive lithiums and the sheer numbers of EV's on the road in the next 10-20+ years is the issue. Lithium's have some nasty side effects for sure but if they are used on a lesser scale like my Fit Bit or string trimmer, it's a lot less harmful than replacing our 250+ million gas powered cars with Lithium powered ones.

Where does it say the cars failed ?
The title of this thread is " A good article on the draw backs of electric vehicles " If the meme wasn't posted as an example of the draw backs of electric cars then why was it posted? Would you have posted a picture of a junkyard of gas powerd vehicles?

It seems to be the size of the automotive lithiums and the sheer numbers of EV's on the road in the next 10-20+ years is the issue. Lithium's have some nasty side effects for sure but if they are used on a lesser scale like my Fit Bit or string trimmer, it's a lot less harmful than replacing our 250+ million gas powered cars with Lithium powered ones.
So, lithium anywhere but cars?

The title of this thread is " A good article on the draw backs of electric vehicles " If the meme wasn't posted as an example of the draw backs of electric cars then why was it posted? Would you have posted a picture of a junkyard of gas powerd vehicles?
Well you have to asked yourself why are all those brand new vehicles scraped , was it because it cost to much or bad management . When you see a junk yard of gas vehicles , they are usually older well used vehicles ,not brand new . Just my view .

Well you have to asked yourself why are all those brand new vehicles scraped , was it because it cost to much or bad management . When you see a junk yard of gas vehicles , they are usually older well used vehicles ,not brand new . Just my view .
I'm like you. When I saw that picture I thought what is wrong with all those vehicles. So I googled it. Turns out that is a somewhat famous picture first circulated as EV cars junked because the batteries went bad somewhere in France. From what I found and I'm no authority on this subject, it is a failed ride share company in China. I didn't find any evidence that it was the cars that failed. They were supposedly 2013 and earlier models that were to be replaced with new models according to a former manager. Who knows? Maybe you could take a minute and play detective like I did and let us know what you find.

Some use cases where EVs make more sense like someone who has a garage wired up to charge it, in a warmer climate so cars heater doesn't reduce range too much, and vehicle is not driven far enough away where it needs to be recharged to complete the trip. If the trips are short enough where vehicle can be driven and returned home and charged at night then the long charge times aren't really an issue.

So why not let consumers decide? For the ppl where EVs meet their needs sure have at it buy one. But for others, like in cold climates, no private parking place or garage, or frequent long trips, EVs prob not the best fit for those folks.

We have a lot of gas vehicles being newly built today very fuel efficient lot of power and very low emission. These modern vehicles aren't exactly pumping out pollution like cars decades ago.

Maybe government offer corporations tax breaks to have ppl work from home where possible? Reduce rush hour traffic jams reduce daily vehicle use? Maybe that would cut down on environment impacts from both gas and EV's?

I see them all the time .1/2 of the time in the heat hunting for a charge station with their windows down.

Used to be that some places would collect and stack tires 100 feet high (full of tons of hydrocarbons). Then the tires would accidentally catch on fire and would almost be impossible to put out! In the near future all car scrap yards will be full of wrecked, battery powered cars.......if one car catches on fire (they burn very hot!!) they will all burn to the ground releasing tons of carbon emisions. It makes it a lose, lose project!!!

Used to be that some places would collect and stack tires 100 feet high (full of tons of hydrocarbons). Then the tires would accidentally catch on fire and would almost be impossible to put out! In the near future all car scrap yards will be full of wrecked, battery powered cars.......if one car catches on fire (they burn very hot!!) they will all burn to the ground releasing tons of carbon emisions. It makes it a lose, lose project!!!
We had a similar incident happen nearby years ago in the neighboring county. The salvage yard was owned by a county supervisor there. Burned for days, It was said a stream of crude oil looking stuff was running across the ground from the fire. Yard burned down, insurance policy paid off, supervisor retired.

I remember numerous news reports about piles of tires burning for days and producing a rivers of oil.

-
Back