A little annoyed

-

dodgy

Reaction score
The other month i had to remove the right hand side extractor to fix my oil lines, i had used Remflex gaskets 6027 , this engine hasn't been fired with them so just torqued up to the 20ft they recommended, anyway getting to the point, the bloody thing separated at #8 and stuck to the extractor and fucked the gasket, yes i was carefuling, so another $80 aussie to replace it.

View attachment 1715725026

20210418_150335.jpg

Yeah, they do that. They are squishy and fill gaps but they do flake apart.

I would just put some a smidgen of red RTV on it and see what happens.
I have saved the gasket to parts bin, may use it on something else another time and on the other side so it's easy to get too.

I have saved the gasket to parts bin, may use it on something else another time and on the other side so it's easy to get too.

I`ve got tti headers on my car, I have reused the gaskets about 3-4 times , put hi heat silicone one the damaged part , let it dry , reinstalled . My exhaust system is full 3 1/2'' dumped , never had an exhaust leak yet.
Did the same on my 406 sbc , as long as u dont have much back pressure , and the flanges are smooth on the head side with no welded riings around the tubes , it has worked for me , hardly ever buy header gaskets.

Good to know it's savable, it was the main reason behind the purchase of these remflex geskets as i had read that in most cases never leak( can't stand that tick tick tick) and people have reused them after removing, however im still a bit pissed it come apart.

Tried them lasted about 2 weeks because you cant apply full pressure to the header bolts without pushing the gasket out the side , the headers move on the bolts slightly & slowly break up the gasket

Translation
Extractor = Exhaust manifold
You all talk funny down under:rolleyes::poke::lol:
We do call the exhaust manifold a manifold if it is cast iron if it is the shorty type headers we call them headers ,I think we call the long tube extractors is because they extract the hot gases away from the head.

The British guys are likely responsible for Americans calling the interior cardboard door panels "door cards".
I hate that term.

Good to know it's savable, it was the main reason behind the purchase of these remflex geskets as i had read that in most cases never leak( can't stand that tick tick tick) and people have reused them after removing, however im still a bit pissed it come apart.

Most all of them split or come apart. Reusing them depends a lot on ur exhaust system---------

-
Back