A little bench racing

MomsDuster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I want to pose a question. Based on the Draggy info below, if I was to put D.O.T. drag radials on the car instead of the Cooper Cobras how much improvement might I expect in my 60’, 1/8, and 1/4 mile times?

0DD3A8C4-A837-4CFA-9747-F924F8359AD3.png

Last edited:

33IMP

Reaction score
I will say this: if you want to go faster at the strip, a good set of tires (and maybe extra wheels to put them on) will make the biggest difference for the money. (Short of a nitrous setup). Cheap used slicks, and cheap wheels will give the same result for less money.
Agree with above.... very solid twelve, and a 1.something 60 ft.

dartindanno

Reaction score
I agree with all of the above, get some good slicks and at 106mph you should be in the low to mid 12's. I was running 12.3's in my 70 Dart with 3:91 gears and MT pro bracket radials at 106mph with a 1.64-1.66 sixty foot time

MomsDuster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I will say this: if you want to go faster at the strip, a good set of tires (and maybe extra wheels to put them on) will make the biggest difference for the money. (Short of a nitrous setup). Cheap used slicks, and cheap wheels will give the same result for less money.
Agree with above.... very solid twelve, and a 1.something 60 ft.
Yeah, looks as though that’s going to have to be the next upgrade. I’ve been tuning this thing for overall drivability/performance. And it seems that the better it runs the slower it goes, especially 60’ times LOL.

33IMP

Reaction score
2.24 60 ft. If you improve that to 1.99, two and a half tenths there will likely show up as almost 4-5 tenths in the eighth, and maybe six tenths in the quarter. You can do the math.

roccodart440

Reaction score
General rule 1 on the bottom will yield two on the top.

If you are spinning or not launching as hard as you can, there is time on the table. With a 2.24 60ft time, you have a lot to gain. Easily a half a second in the quarter

B3422w5

Reaction score
sometimes when the car isn’t hooking, the added wheel speed can hide issues that will arise when the car hooks and wheelspeed dissapears.
Convertor then becomes more of a factor, as well as breakage regards anything that isn’t up to snuff.

MomsDuster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
sometimes when the car isn’t hooking, the added wheel speed can hide issues that will arise when the car hooks and wheelspeed dissapears.
Convertor then becomes more of a factor, as well as breakage regards anything that isn’t up to snuff.
Biggest reason for tires next. Get it to hook better, then I can move forward in getting it dialed in.

MomsDuster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
General rule 1 on the bottom will yield two on the top.

If you are spinning or not launching as hard as you can, there is time on the table. With a 2.24 60ft time, you have a lot to gain. Easily a half a second in the quarter
I’m doing both, having to roll into the throttle to minimize spinning, it still spins but not completely up in smoke like it is when I just put it to the wood.

pomonamissel

Reaction score
well from off the trailer at 12.20 to 11.80 after playing with tire pressure on bfg drag radials in the 1/4 .

forphorty

Reaction score
I love my Dragy. Last trip to the track, I took it with me so I could compare to my time slips. It is very, very close most of the time.

33IMP

Reaction score
I’m doing both, having to roll into the throttle to minimize spinning, it still spins but not completely up in smoke like it is when I just put it to the wood.
Cobras are good tires, nice looking, better than t/a radials. But they aren't drag tires. But drag radials aren't going to last long on the street.
How much actual track time do you plan on? I'd try to get some nine inch slicks, used, from a stock eliminator racer that aren't fast enough anymore, throw them on some junkyard 15x7 steelies, and swap em on at the track.

MomsDuster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Cobras are good tires, nice looking, better than t/a radials. But they aren't drag tires. But drag radials aren't going to last long on the street.
How much actual track time do you plan on? I'd try to get some nine inch slicks, used, from a stock eliminator racer that aren't fast enough anymore, throw them on some junkyard 15x7 steelies, and swap em on at the track.
Not really planning n a whole lot of track time. Probably once or twice to get it dialed in. (Get that time slip) Really just want to get it all right. It’s a cruiser, but I want to be able to know what it’s capable of, ( I constantly get asked what it runs) and play around from time to time. Will definitely grab a pair of steel wheels for play time.