a "Lowly" 440 Dyno

-

Challenger340

Reaction score
At a time in history when everybody seems to want a "Stroker" this, or "Stroker" that.....
thought it might be kind of fun to revisit a couple of very inexpensive(for us anyways)..."lowly" 440 builds we just finished for a couple of Customers.
We used to sell lots of these here in Western Canada back in the day, not so much anymore... with more people today with more money than brains(IMO) opting for more expensive Strokers. I don't complain... but I also still think "lowly" 440's are still more than capable performers for most people ?

2 virtually Identical parts packages, the only differences between the 2 Engines...
* #1 Engine used a CompCams XE274 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam at .487"/.490" Lift, with the OOTB Stealth heads receiving only a "prep for service" and cleanup. 486 HP and 554 Ft/lbs Torque

and
* #2 Engine using the CompCams XE284 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam @ .507"/.510" Lift, with the inexpensive Stealth Heads treated to our Stage 1 "Street" Porting & Prep, with the Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifold Port Matched. 546 HP and 564 Ft/Lbs Torque.
(we later had to fix an Oil Pump restriction in the casting, got to 557HP @ 5700 rpm)

Both engines have suitable Vacuum for power brakes.
#1 Engine is a "leave it in D"... good idle... driver/resto
#2 Engine is for a little "more'... and capable of 11's in a 3800 lb tugboat.... but still 562 Ft/Lbs down @ 3500 rpm.

#2 Engine
IMG_0001_zpsc5485342.jpg
IMG_zps0642a204.jpg

Parts Packages we used in Both 440 Engines shown above as follows.

* 440 Blocks .060" Over
* Stock 3.75" Forged Cranks(IMO, low HP could use Cast Crank)
* ARP Main Studs
* ICON 9953 Forged Pistons
* 5/64" Moly Rings
* Stock "Ly" connecting Rods, beamed & hardened
* ARP Rod Bolts
* Clevitte Main Brgs
* Clevitte CB527 P Rod Brgs
* Durabond Cam Brgs
* $999. 440 Source Stealth Heads
* 10* Ret & Locks upgrade
* 440 Source Rocker arms, 1.5 Ratio
* 440 Source 3/8" Pushrods
* 440 Source cheapo Oil Pan and P/U / Windage tray
* Cloyes T/Chain & Gears
* Melling HV Oil Pump(casting flaw in one)
* Edelbrock performer RPM Intake Manifold
* 850 cfm Holley 4150 series
* M.P. Valve Covers
* MSD "Plug & Play" Dizzies

* "Street" Blueprint Block Machine Package
* Assembly & Dyno

How much do you think you would gain with the ported heads on motor #1 with the 274 cam?

Gotta agree on the spend more to go slow thing. It's why I like the 451 so much...Reusing factory stuff makes sense to me,cuz then I stay away from chink stuff.

I've read on another website that the 274 cammed engine was 10.4:1 and I think this one was that compression also, but Bob will have to verify that.

I've read on another website that the 274 cammed engine was 10.4:1 and I think this one was that compression also, but Bob will have to verify that.

yep, the 274 deal is 10.36 rounded to 10.4:1
and
the 284 Engine just slightly higher at 10.48 again rounded to 10.5:1

Stealths all seem to CC right around the 83 mark, we took them down to 80CC, then just Block Milling downfill variance.
Both run great on 91 Octane Pump Premium... No detonation, also, no difference with the 94 Octane tried on the 284 Engine, same, same, but the guy had some so we tried it... it didn't care.

How much do you think you would gain with the ported heads on motor #1 with the 274 cam?

I can't say for sure... but I believe "some" at least ?
IMO,
The 274 CompCam ITSELF just hits a wall.... better Heads should fatten the curve overall,
but really it's a Leave it in D auto camshaft as the Customer is a resto guy ?
and,
just let it upshift on it's own off the kickdown adjustment.

Special Note;
In my opinion only.... this test should emphasize the IMPORTENCE of having the Stealth Heads(or the Eddy heads), reworked / Ported from OOTB configuration for best results !
I think it should now be somewhat obvious, to anyone contemplating taking an OOTB Stealth or Eddy Head...
and thinking they are going to simply BOLT THEM ON.... a 440... little-lown a larger 500" Stroker...
and make power ??
Well, The Easter Bunny is coming soon also...
and very simply,
trying to compensate with bigger camshaft events... is the wrong way to do things ?

Gotta agree on the spend more to go slow thing. It's why I like the 451 so much...Reusing factory stuff makes sense to me,cuz then I stay away from chink stuff.

WE use stock 440 Cranks for our 383 & 400 Block based 438/451 stuff, as a good application for otherwise unwanted stock stroke forged cranks.
WE have about 8 of them running around / Bracket Racing in the Calgary/Edmonton area over the last 4 years... very popular.
XS282S Solid Cam is the default
Pump gas 91 Octane
Eddy Heads(we port)
usually 570'ish HP with 580'ish Torque
VERY capable Performers !

I can post up some Duyno Sheets if anybody wants ?
We Dyno everything before it leaves.

I'd be interested in some dyno sheets for the 451 with ported edelbrocks as that's what I'm building now.

I'd be interested in some dyno sheets for the 451 with ported edelbrocks as that's what I'm building now.

OK, here's the first one we did back in 2007, hit 10's in Edmonton(still is today) on 91 Octane, and caused all the ruckus and more phonecalls.
It was, and is, still a very nice pump gas package.
We do a 426/438 version as well for the Guys using 383 Blocks, very close to the same power, just slightly higher rpm.

uses a stock 440 forged Crank... we do NOT grind the counterweights down... preferring to "windage" them instead. Any dork with an Angle Grinder can do the same at home in 2 hours, and they fit JUST FINE that way in the lowdeck Blocks.
Mains ARE reground down to the 400 size ... that's it... thats all !
The Eddy Heads are treated to our Stage 2 Porting & Prep.
Which,
depending upon your geographical location can be repeated elsewhere... Jim Leroy "IQ82" on here comes to mind, he could easily do the same 300 cfm head as WE DO HERE, that I am sure.
451EddySolidwithSingleplane001.jpg

-
Back