A second love for many years coming to an end.

-

davescuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I thought I share this with you guys. For many years I built and maintained my hockey rink for my son and his friends. My son is a senior high school this year and going to collage next year so there will be no need to keep the rink up. I think I will miss the most is enjoying cocktails with the parents around the fire pit.

fullsizeoutput_1c1a.jpeg

IMG_1966.JPG

IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_6041.JPG

IMG_2286.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2324.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

I thought I share this with you guys. For many years I built and maintained my hockey rink for my son and his friends. My son is a senior high school this year and going to collage next year so there will be no need to keep the rink up. I think I will miss the most is enjoying cocktails with the parents around the fire pit.

View attachment 1715122427

View attachment 1715122431

View attachment 1715122432

View attachment 1715122433

View attachment 1715122434

View attachment 1715122435

View attachment 1715122439

View attachment 1715122440

View attachment 1715122441

View attachment 1715122442

View attachment 1715122443
That is awesome.......My son is a pee wee now......I have been debating putting a rink in my yard ....On the bright side ......More room for more Mopar's. Hey did you buy that 70 340 Swinger FC7 that was advertised on here? I saw in his Sold add he said thanks Dave.

Wow, you did a great job on that! I went through a similar rite of passage about a year ago. When my boys were small I built from scratch, a large outdoor wood play set. it had swings, a clubhouse and a slide. it filled me with great pleasure to see them and their friends enjoy it for many years. As they grew older it got used less and less and I finally made the decision to tear it down. I'm not going to lie, I shed a tear that day. I can only hope with my kids, and yours that the good times they had are stored away in their file and as they grow older they will pull them up now and then and smile inside. It sounds to me like your a great parent.

That is really neat, any chance you can maintain it for the next generation of kids in your neighborhood? Regardless, you have made some great memories that will last forever for a lot of people and should be proud.

That is awesome.......My son is a pee wee now......I have been debating putting a rink in my yard ....On the bright side ......More room for more Mopar's. Hey did you buy that 70 340 Swinger FC7 that was advertised on here? I saw in his Sold add he said thanks Dave.
I will have more time to get the mopars I have done. The rink is awesome your sone will love it. To have a good rink you need the area in the yard that gets a lot of shade for best results.
I did not buy the Dart.

That's super cool, but why do you have to stop? You could keep it going for more generations to come.

That is really neat, any chance you can maintain it for the next generation of kids in your neighborhood? Regardless, you have made some great memories that will last forever for a lot of people and should be proud.
Yes a ton of great memories, we hope it will be a cold winter so we can enjoy and gain more memories. So far we got on the ice already for a few days and thats awesome to be on so early in the season.
It will be time to come down in the spring. It's a big rink, a lot of work all year round. I looking forward for him to go to collage. I will post everything I have for the rink for sale this winter (cheap) so somebody else can enjoy it with their family and friends.

That's super cool, but why do you have to stop? You could keep it going for more generations to come.
Its big and a lot of work. Its 100 x 40 plus the surrounding fence to keep the dogs out. Trust me I have stuff in the garage that should have bid done but family and stuff like this comes first.

Its big and a lot of work. Its 100 x 40 plus the surrounding fence to keep the dogs out. Trust me I have stuff in the garage that should have bid done but family and stuff like this comes first.

Yeah. That's how our local Boy Scout group failed. Once all the church kids made it through, they let it die. Pretty sad.

Thats the best back yard I have ever seen except for a pro basketball players I saw with a 1:4 scale pirate ship IN THE POOL! Too bad for the neighborhood your pulling up the stakes. Perhaps someone else will take the reigns and press on. I loved watching the Long Beach Arena set up their rink for Disney on Ice. They pull out the 4 inch barriers and set them in pre drilled holes on the concrete floor to make a closed rink. Then they fill it 1/2 way, freeze it overnight with built in cooling coils under the concrete, paint it or lay down printed ad decals and then fill it again to the top and then groom it.

That's really cool. And I agree. You usually meet the best set of friends when your kids play sports.

That's true...my wife and I met some great friends during our daughter's softball years.
But you know, the group of friends we have through the Mopar club we belong to are just as good, if not better!

I'd still build and see if the friends come over with there kids and such. I know I don't have room for a rink but my boy and I would be over to skate around and slap some pucks.

Great job!

Riddler

That is fantastic! Are your kids still playing? I bwt they played some upper leagues!
Growing up in MN we had a hockey rink every 5 miles and a pond every 2...Its a lifetime sport.
Im 55 now and still play 3-4 times a week.

That is fantastic! Are your kids still playing? I bwt they played some upper leagues!
Growing up in MN we had a hockey rink every 5 miles and a pond every 2...Its a lifetime sport.
Im 55 now and still play 3-4 times a week.
Thats awesome that you still play. We used to have a rink in town but it closed years ago. We have to go two towns over now. My son is señor this year and starts for his high school. He is a righty that plays left wing. Heard today he will also be playing some center.

I'd still build and see if the friends come over with there kids and such. I know I don't have room for a rink but my boy and I would be over to skate around and slap some pucks.

Great job!

Riddler
We do have some friends over and use it. We are actually having an adult new years eve skate party.
Its a great time and good exercise.

If he is playing varsity or travel team his skills must be great. I played with some 18 - 20 yr olds this morning that are in Juniors in Boston and Chicago. Nobody had skills like theirs when I was a kid.

-
Back