A True Low Dollar Backyard Build

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
Remember when we were 16-17 years old and only made $70 a week in 1983/4/5 ?
So my 24 year old son, Jake, has heard me tell of the free 71 360 I put together in the backyard for the 71 Barracuda that I had in High School in the mid 80's on a part time fast food job income when I was 17.

With that in mind, and the pulling of the 318 from my all original 89 Shelby Dakota that I bought new 3/89 so I can drop a 360 in, he donated his $125 84 360 that was stashed under my bench. All we know is it was running when the D250 it was in got totalled. Mileage is unknown. He picked it up about 3 years ago. I would build on one of the blocks a buddy gave me last summer, but I don't have half of the inards for them.
So this is going to be a low dollar, like I'm working fast food, scavenged what I can, buy cheap used where I can and some new as needed and/or makes better sense to do.

Stay tuned, if you choose to. This is going to be a true backyard minimum dollar build, just for fun.

making 70 bucks a week in 83?
i was still crapping my pants in 83

so, are we gonna pop the heads and see what we got, or slap a 4 barrel on it and let her rip?

I'll list what I've got to work with later today after church.
My 13 yr old and I pulled the top end off yesterday. It's not real pretty, but not too fugly either.

20210313_175632.jpg

Is it a hydraulic roller cam 360 block? If so, it would have 308 heads. If it does and IF they aren't cracked (that's a big IF) spend the money on upgrading to 2.02 intakes and print off the porting MP templates with plans on getting busy with a Dremel tool or a die grinder and up grade to 2.02 intakes. Sure, the templates won't optimize the heads as they are set on the "safe" side to keep you out of water and oil, but well worth the effort in the low budget world.

Sounds good.
A man right after my heart.........cheap, easy, and functional.
Looking forward to the updates and of course, plenty of pics!

Is it a hydraulic roller cam 360 block? If so, it would have 308 heads. If it does and IF they aren't cracked (that's a big IF) spend the money on upgrading to 2.02 intakes and print off the porting MP templates with plans on getting busy with a Dremel tool or a die grinder and up grade to 2.02 intakes. Sure, the templates won't optimize the heads as they are set on the "safe" side to keep you out of water and oil, but well worth the effort in the low budget world.

I have a set of 308's that belong to someone else, where do they normally crack ?

Cool. Don't forget to tap and plug the AIR injection holes under each exhaust port, and that the cam has to be mild because the exhaust valves will have a rotator on it, and the lower cut notch for the valve locks. Plan to replace the retainers on those exhaust valves with anything form anything else that doesn't have rotators.

Cool. Don't forget to tap and plug the AIR injection holes under each exhaust port, and that the cam has to be mild because the exhaust valves will have a rotator on it, and the lower cut notch for the valve locks. Plan to replace the retainers on those exhaust valves with anything form anything else that doesn't have rotators.
If it has exhaust rotators, in keeping with the spirit of low budget builds, donations, and FABO, I have a set of stock 4 groove 1.6 exhaust valves, retainers, and locks to contribute to the cause. @ragtopfury

Last edited:
Fixed it, and thank you, I had 1.88 intakes on the brain at that moment. :BangHead: But they're the stock tulip type valve, so they do cost some compression if you're switching from nail head valves.

Appreciate the offer Garrett, but I think I'm good with what I've got to start with.

OK folks, here is what I'll be starting with and where it came from....

84 360 donated by my son.
2 pairs of J heads given to me last summer by a buddy.
An old used Cam Dynamics cam advertised at 290/290 duration, .454/.454 lift, 110 LSA, 105 ICL that cam with the heads from the same guy.
Banana groove shafts and iron adjustable rockers and push rods from the same guy.
Mopar electronic ignition set up built from pieces laying around.
New Cloyes double roller chain/gears that I picked up pretty cheap a few years ago.
Torker II 360 intake picked up a couple of years ago from a member here pretty reasonable (sorry I forget who it was)
A known good Eddie carb that is either 625 or 650 cfm that's been here for a while from who knows where.
A new pair of $100 shorty headers for a Dakota/Durango.

The truck has a limited slip 8.25 rear with 3.90 gears, A500 auto.

My initial plan -
Tear down, clean and inspect the bottom end.
Hope to just ream the carbon build up out of the top of the cylinders and simply give them all a hone job.
Gasket/port match the intake and exhaust ports.
Hand lap the valves in the better looking pair of J's.
Gasket match the intake.
Run the cam I mentioned above.
Go solid lifter if I can so I can run the adjustable rockers.
Hack and modify the oil pan because the sump is about 4 inches too big to fit the hole behind the frame.
Use the original electric in tank fuel pump and simply plumb in regulator with a return.

As for new stuff I know I'll need/want - oil pump, water pump, rings, main and rod bearings, fuel pump block off plate, oil pick up tube from a 92 Dakota because it will be right for the modified oil pan, and of course a gasket set. A torque converter. Going to need one for the 360 since a 318 came out.

It's going to be a slow process, so be patient. Am I telling myself that, or you guys.... I think both.

Don't know for sure. It was with the heads and rockers when it was given to me along with 14 used solid lifters that I chucked.

What would the difference be between an hydraulic and solid cam?

Hack and modify the oil pan because the sump is about 4 inches too big to fit the hole behind the frame.
Just a suggestion, but next time you're at the pick 'n pull, snag an oil pan and oil pump pickup off a Magnum Durango- fits the Dakota and bolts up to the LA360. It's nicely baffled, plus you get to use the magnum 1 piece gasket...
For the torque convertor, just use the 318 unit with the B&M 10239 flexplate.

Last edited:
making 70 bucks a week in 83?
i was still crapping my pants in 83

so, are we gonna pop the heads and see what we got, or slap a 4 barrel on it and let her rip?

I was makin 450 a week in 83 workin two jobs. lol

3.91 gears and a Torker 2... I like it already! How much compression are you planning on and has anything been done to the heads? It's only a suggestion but f the heads have been worked for increased lift, and if you're targeting around 10:1, then I would seriously consider updating the cam and valve springs. I'm really partial to this one...Xtreme Energy 236/242 Solid Flat Cam for Chrysler 273-360

Last edited:
-
Back