A word of advice

-

SuperStock426

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently installed a 440 with Indy Heads with 2 inch TTI headers..After installing it I find out I need to ding the header tube for the steering coupler to clear..It's a major pain in the *** to have to drive back the torsion bar, unbolt the header, unbolt the steering box and fish out the starter to remove the header..Now I am looking forward putting all this back together after dinging my header in the spot that needs dinging..
Now the word of advice..If you plan on installing a big block in your A body definitely go with a low deck block and use 1 3/4 headers..It will save you a lot of grief on down the road..There are areas I'd give 500 bucks to have an extra 1/4 of an inch clearance..When the time comes to have to pull the 440 out of my Demon you can bet your sweet *** that a low deck is going back in ( I've already purchased 2 400 blocks for that purpose) along with 1 3/4 TTI's.....

My 451 low-deck with Hedman 78030 B-body 1-3/4" headers was an easy fit... just a couple of small dings, and those headers aren't even designed for an A-body :D (I did have to shorten the column jacket, and already had manual steering.)
I don't think it would breathe nearly as well through manifolds either!

I was thinking about a rack and pinion !! That would free up some room ! Now I haven’t done it yet ! So not sure of the ends and outs ! What do y’all say ?

I was thinking about a rack and pinion !! That would free up some room ! Now I haven’t done it yet ! So not sure of the ends and outs ! What do y’all say ?
It would eliminate the steering box..You would have to modify your steering shaft to run u-joints..The torsion bars are what causes a lot of problems..

I recently installed a 440 with Indy Heads with 2 inch TTI headers..After installing it I find out I need to ding the header tube for the steering coupler to clear..It's a major pain in the *** to have to drive back the torsion bar, unbolt the header, unbolt the steering box and fish out the starter to remove the header..Now I am looking forward putting all this back together after dinging my header in the spot that needs dinging..
Now the word of advice..If you plan on installing a big block in your A body definitely go with a low deck block and use 1 3/4 headers..It will save you a lot of grief on down the road..There are areas I'd give 500 bucks to have an extra 1/4 of an inch clearance..When the time comes to have to pull the 440 out of my Demon you can bet your sweet *** that a low deck is going back in ( I've already purchased 2 400 blocks for that purpose) along with 1 3/4 TTI's.....

Why not change the stupid joint to a u joint ? I would do a 400 block if starting over too ,or maybe a stroked small block. My headers have no dents to clear anything --
IMG_0474 (1).JPG

If that’s all you had to do be happy man. I have a car that had factory AC so the larger blower motor. I also had one of if not the first a bodies with Trickflow heads. Those two things led to a couple of days of banging and shaving down rocker shaft hold downs to clear the stupid blower motor.

If that’s all you had to do be happy man. I have a car that had factory AC so the larger blower motor. I also had one of if not the first a bodies with Trickflow heads. Those two things led to a couple of days of banging and shaving down rocker shaft hold downs to clear the stupid blower motor.
Damn

i would agree, i didn't buy new headers because i didn't want to dimple the new ones... sure could use them tho since i'm going to install the smaller borgenson steering box. Was worried about fitment overall.

i would agree, i didn't buy new headers because i didn't want to dimple the new ones... sure could use them tho since i'm going to install the smaller borgenson steering box. Was worried about fitment overall.
I know..Its a ***** having to dimple a 1,000 dollar set of headers but I checked into using the flaming river steering universal...But I saw a pic that a guy posted that had the same setup as I do and his flaming river universal was right up next to the header tube..So I said to hell with it..I'll dimple the header tube and use my stock steering coupler.

I know..Its a ***** having to dimple a 1,000 dollar set of headers but I checked into using the flaming river steering universal...But I saw a pic that a guy posted that had the same setup as I do and his flaming river universal was right up next to the header tube..So I said to hell with it..I'll dimple the header tube and use my stock steering coupler.

Any pics of ur headers and engine bay ??

If it makes you feel better Engine Masters did a test and bashing in headers did little to HP or TQ numbers.

KICK A$$ ! Hit the like button !
MY RAISED PORT HEADS HAVE THE 1-2 TUBES UP HIGHER BESIDE THE VALVE COVER , WILL burn gaskets w/o insulater between. I f u have that problem , hughs engines has a burn proof gasket set . Like the valve covers too-----

KICK A$$ ! Hit the like button !
MY RAISED PORT HEADS HAVE THE 1-2 TUBES UP HIGHER BESIDE THE VALVE COVER , WILL burn gaskets w/o insulater between. I f u have that problem , hughs engines has a burn proof gasket set . Like the valve covers too-----
I'm running the Moroso thick blue rubberized gaskets with the metal plate center..Sending info on valve covers and the gaskets I run..

Screenshot_20200617-181056.png

Screenshot_20200617-181612.png

Last edited:
-
Back