A500 & A518 electrical connection ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Is there a difference in the electrical plug for the Hydraluic operated overdrive versions and the Electronic versions Pics please which is which .

Absolutely. The H has a simple 3 pin connector which engages the OD and the converter lock. The E series has a 6 or 8 pin.

See if the Russian link is still active, you can download a manual..................

Free service manuals

Post 12 this thread, ATSG manuals

Auto trans stumper

Introduced in 1990. The A518’s torque converter definitely does not lock up. My 90 D150 is my daily and even though it does not lock up this transmission has saved me a bunch on gas. Old school non locking TC transmissions are 90-92 I believe. When I sourced a A518 for my duster it was from a van at the junk yard. The identifier I used was the 3 wire connector. I chose the a518 transmission because what I’ve read is that you can run a 727 converter in the non locking converter a518. I wanted this option to run a loose converter 3500 stall. This is all of course if I ever get around to finishing my project.

A500 had lockups starting in 1988. Non lockups available 1988-92 for the 3.9L V6, and from 1993-on V6. Depends on what vehicle they were in. 518 Lockups started around 1992. The 8 pin connector for the solenoid pack started in 1996.

Introduced in 1990. The A518’s torque converter definitely does not lock up. My 90 D150 is my daily and even though it does not lock up this transmission has saved me a bunch on gas. Old school non locking TC transmissions are 90-92 I believe. When I sourced a A518 for my duster it was from a van at the junk yard. The identifier I used was the 3 wire connector. I chose the a518 transmission because what I’ve read is that you can run a 727 converter in the non locking converter a518. I wanted this option to run a loose converter 3500 stall. This is all of course if I ever get around to finishing my project.
Watch the balancing on the two converters.

I've read about some part in the overdrive unit that should be updated (something about 15 degree vs 22 degree part) can you tell me anything about that...and maybe which is better...and what year the update started . Thanks

I've read about some part in the overdrive unit that should be updated (something about 15 degree vs 22 degree part) can you tell me anything about that...and maybe which is better...and what year the update started . Thanks
Chrysler changed from the 22.5 to 15 degree pitch tooth in 1994 on the A518. I worked in the transmission parts/converter industry and we sold a kit that had the OD Sun Gear, the OD Planetary, and the OD Annulus(Ring) gear to make the changeover from the early to later design. The kit fits them all, including the A500. If you're going to get into the OD section, there is underneath the Overdrive hub, a compressed HD spring that will do YOU personally damage if you don't release it properly. You should use a press to do this job. The spring is compressed to somewhere around 600-700 pounds.

I know about the high psi spring. So the A500s did not get the 15 degree planetary update..but could be added ? Is it a needed/good thing to do ?

I know about the high psi spring. So the A500s did not get the 15 degree planetary update..but could be added ? Is it a needed/good thing to do ?
Yes, in 1996 the A500's changed to the updated planetary kit at the factory. Is it a good thing to do? My understanding is it was done because the 15 degree planetary setup was stronger than the old design. If it was my transmission and it was in need of an overhaul, knowing what I know, for peace of mind, I'd get it done. Not inexpensive, but to me a worth while investment. While the transmission is out and apart, why not do all updates and modifications. JMHO
Do it right once.

-
Back