A833 disassembly - Hangup - Main shaft wear?

-

JAndrea

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m breaking down the main shaft gear sets. The front came apart just fine, but after removing the last snap ring under the 1&2 clutch hub assembly on the tail half, I’m finding that the clutch hub assembly will not slide to the rear. It seems to be getting hung up on the splines just past the snap ring groove. The splines seem to be worn down so that the spline teeth on the hub won’t slide over/through.

When you look at the pics you can see the obvious deformity in the metal grooves/teeth at the outer edges.

Anybody run into this before? I’m wondering if there are any known methods to get over his last hump in the disassembly.

I’m assuming I could line up the teeth and just press it off, but I don’t want to risk ruining the hub and Main shaft just yet.

893D95FE-3F6E-4795-9BCB-F37B715FEBB9.jpeg

E80D486F-F202-43D1-BA49-20A1CFB4CE01.jpeg

Man it's been over three years since I did mine, but I would think if thy are worn it would be more loose than binding? The tops of the spline's are supposed to be flat, I think. And I agree not to get too aggressive.

Having done a lot of standards professionally, I don't see anything particularly out of the ordinary there.
In some cases the snap ring will flatten and flare the ends of the teeth on this side of the grove slightly causing the problem you are having.
Those teeth look completely normal to me.
Press it off if you have to.

Knowing the flat upper edge is normal is what I was wondering about. I’ll try the surgical approach first, then get a little more aggressive. These responses make sense, since everything in the trans looked really good and only slightly worn... to my eyes anyway.

Thanks!

Been a LONG time. I used to just wrap rags around the gear/ hub "stuff" to get ahold of it all , and bang the end of the shaft on a wood block

I'm at the same point I'll go out and look at the snap ring surface.

It’s great to know this is a common issue.
I felt that it wasn't nothing big but being the first responder and have not touched one of these or been inside one I should say for three years I didn't want to send you in the wrong direction except for just to be careful LOL I'm glad though this is looking easy.

I put a steel ruler and a screw driver between the gears and with very little effort it popped off.

I had the reverse happen on my A833OD, the 3-4 shift hub wouldn't go back on because the splines were a little rough. I filed them a little bit and then ended up just carefully forcing it back on.

Even if you could get a file in there, I don't think it would touch that shaft.
I'm with Del's method, in post #6. I've done hundreds that way. You can fix it up later after the parts are off. I don't even bother with a wooden block; that shaft is harder than any steel table. Just grab the gears in one hand and the 3-4 section of the shaft with the other,hang on tight, and bam the tail on the table. Done!

Even if you could get a file in there, I don't think it would touch that shaft.
I'm with Del's method, in post #6. I've done hundreds that way. You can fix it up later after the parts are off. I don't even bother with a wooden block; that shaft is harder than any steel table. Just grab the gears in one hand and the 3-4 section of the shaft with the other,hang on tight, and bam the tail on the table. Done!
Just goes to show there's a time to be careful and there's a time to just slam that thing on the table and get it! LOL I love it...

Filed a little all the way around and it popped out in the press. Then it shot to the floor before I was ready :elmer:

Next time I’ll just put it in the press and tap with a hammer!

Quite often the newbies (me) have to get talked off the ledge and just get it done.

Thanks all. Great info!

Last edited:
-
Back