A833 trans jack

-

KosmicKuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently needed to pull the 4 speed to take care of a couple things. I keep the 64 at a female friend's house so I'm constantly shuttling tools back and forth and work alone.

A couple decades ago someone gave me a trans jack adapter that takes the place of a floor jack saddle. I was never able to use it before because it's very tall and bulky and wouldn't fit under a car very well. Probably why he gave it to me in the first place. I dragged it out and considered sectioning it by cutting it apart, reducing the height, and welding it back together. But I did a trial fit anyway. The advantage this time is that I bought a Quick Jack over the winter.

This adaptor has a pretty heavy chain that is supposed to cinch the trans down for safety but it just complicates things and mostly just gets in the way. So I just removed that heavy angle iron crossmember. It's a 2 x 2 x 1/4" angle iron! I'm pulling a 120 lb trans not a bus transmission!

Anyway, I cut a saddle out of a hunk of 2 x 4 that cradles the trans and fits the contour of the trans case. It fits right behind the drain plug boss in an area like it was made for it. The shape of the case casting locates it fore and aft. The remaining angle fit pretty well on the flat area of the tail piece where it meets the case so I left it. The best feature of this particular adaptor is the screw adjustable angle adjuster.

I used this rig to remove the trans by myself. One of my car buddies (a Chevy guy!) helped me replace the trans. I probably could have done it solo but he saved me some time.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the trans resting on the jack. Incidentally, that's a 40 year old Sears floor jack I bought new. The S/N plate says made in Japan. Go figure. I notice the Harbor Freight Jacks don't have a removable saddle.

20220610_133828.jpg

20220610_134204.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like my over 40 year old jack, a Sears 1 1/2 ton model. Same color . It has worked flawless, and better than my Lincoln or Snap on jacks. Has never leak anything. The I.d. Sticker is long gone

X 2 on the same exact floor jack! :eek: Mine came from Sears around 1979 or 1980.

Right on! I bought a cuda October 1979 and got a part time job in a Sears garage to pay for resto parts and tools. I got 50% off tools because I worked in the garage. I bought 2 other jacks just like it for friends.

Knock on wood but I've never ever had to add any oil.

-
Back