A904 Leaking thru speedo

-

340inabbody

Reaction score
Hey guys I believe my speedo housing is leaking tranny oil. So I purchased the orink kit for it. When I remove the housing how much fluid could I expect to leak out there? Seems like a low place but not sure. Any trick to minimize the loss?

Also after assembly how do you fill the tranny? Through the small dip stick tube?

Run it in neutral first for a minute right before you pull it, and you should get less than a cup.
If you jack it up in the back even less.

Hey guys I believe my speedo housing is leaking tranny oil. So I purchased the orink kit for it. When I remove the housing how much fluid could I expect to leak out there? Seems like a low place but not sure. Any trick to minimize the loss?

Also after assembly how do you fill the tranny? Through the small dip stick tube?
Yes you fill the trans back up through the fill tube. Warm, on level ground, in neutral. Block the wheels so it doesn't roll over you.

Run it in neutral first for a minute right before you pull it, and you should get less than a cup.
If you jack it up in the back even less.
Yes I was thinking of jacking the rear up so thanks for confimation of that. Running it in neutral prior does what? Replacment will be slow since I will have to replace that internal seal held by the clip. Will I have time to tak advantage of that temporary run in neautral?

Also mark the housing (where the hold down fork hold the housing.)
Typically if you put it back in the wrong spot it will not make gear contact or won’t go back in.

Don’t trust the wear marks. Once clean even those are tough to spot.

He was saying, you check the fluid level with the engine running and the trans in neutral, so block the wheels when you do that.

In neutral with engine off right?

Run the engine with the trans in neutral for a minute right before you pull the speedo assy.
This fills the converter so the fluid level in the trans pan will be at it's lowest level so not much fluid will come out.
In neutral because the stock valve body transmission only circulates fluid in neutral.
The lift the rear and do it to it, and you should only loose a couple of tablespoons of fluid that sit in the case indent where the assy goes.

Myself I would jack up the back, fire it up and let it run in neutral for a few seconds, shut it off, then yank the speedo.
Those seals only take about 2 min to install, so no worries there.

Also mark the housing (where the hold down fork hold the housing.)
Typically if you put it back in the wrong spot it will not make gear contact or won’t go back in.

Don’t trust the wear marks. Once clean even those are tough to spot.

Excellent advice to just make it that much simpler.
You can also note the numbers by the retainer fingers and put it back the same

He was saying, you check the fluid level with the engine running and the trans in neutral, so block the wheels when you do that.

Yep, run it to get the fluid as low as it can get in the pan first.

Run the engine with the trans in neutral for a minute right before you pull the speedo assy.
This fills the converter so the fluid level in the trans pan will be at it's lowest level so not much fluid will come out.
In neutral because the stock valve body transmission only circulates fluid in neutral.
The lift the rear and do it to it, and you should only loose a couple of tablespoons of fluid that sit in the case indent where the assy goes.

Myself I would jack up the back, fire it up and let it run in neutral for a few seconds, shut it off, then yank the speedo.
Those seals only take about 2 min to install, so no worries there.

Excellent advice to just make it that much simpler.
You can also note the numbers by the retainer fingers and put it back the same

Yep, run it to get the fluid as low as it can get in the pan first.
Thank you TB I now understand better!

Thank you TB I now understand better!

I got these completely recovered in the color I asked for and it was about 750, then I built the brackets for the floor because the BMW E30 Recaro 11 way adjustable seats normally sit on a flat surface.
The slides and everything function correctly, and when you release the seat back so it leans forward the whole seat moves forward about 3-4 inches.
It makes getting in the back seat a breeze.
I put a whole new toilet still in it's box in the back seat once.:D
The passenger seat has a lever on the drivers side of it to release the seat back to lean the seat back forward from the drivers seat.

DSCF0010.JPG

Um how does the custom seats help with the trans seal fix at the speedo housing? Lol I do the same thing cheers mate! Nice seats by the way!

Um how does the custom seats help with the trans seal fix at the speedo housing? Lol I do the same thing cheers mate! Nice seats by the way!

Sorry about that, I posted it in the wrong thread.
Duh.

Well the replayof the two seals was very easy. I did mark the housing with the trans as seen by the blue marker and scribe marks prior to removal.
I did raise the rear significantly as I also need to replace the shocks. But I did not start it up and put it in neutral to recirculate the fluid. Well I should have because I driped at least a quart on me and the floor what a freaking mess.
Hopefully this was the source of the leak. I will know more after I get it back running and look for further leakage if any.

E480543D-7B4B-4BF5-A9F1-9517E918CCAC.jpeg

48D39FD4-79E1-40CA-9B90-99561AB9AD83.jpeg

Still leaking but not at speedo. Not sure but it could be the pan. I hate working on my back on this.

Be thankful you are in Arizona. Just did my 904 o-ring in my 45 degree NY garage. Quick but messy job. Have a big tub for the trans pan. Drop low corner and let it drain for a while. Make sure pan is not bent. Replace with factory mopar rubber gasket. Will never leak again.

Be thankful you are in Arizona. Just did my 904 o-ring in my 45 degree NY garage. Quick but messy job. Have a big tub for the trans pan. Drop low corner and let it drain for a while. Make sure pan is not bent. Replace with factory mopar rubber gasket. Will never leak again.
Thanks yes the weater is good to do this work here. Thanks for the advice! I hear the factory gasket is good.

I got these completely recovered in the color I asked for and it was about 750, then I built the brackets for the floor because the BMW E30 Recaro 11 way adjustable seats normally sit on a flat surface.
The slides and everything function correctly, and when you release the seat back so it leans forward the whole seat moves forward about 3-4 inches.
It makes getting in the back seat a breeze.
I put a whole new toilet still in it's box in the back seat once.:D
The passenger seat has a lever on the drivers side of it to release the seat back to lean the seat back forward from the drivers seat.

View attachment 1715291202
Inbox is full. Can you send me a pm?

-
Back