A904 starts in 2, no 3rd , solid reverse

-

mattr927

Reaction score
Two years ago I rebuilt my 904 with a bunch of a&a trans parts. Has billet servos, extra red friction in front, heavy duty bands, heavy duty kickdown strut, lokar cable and tf2 transgo kit, both bands are adjusted to factory specs. Last week I finally put it in. Got the fluid level right and took it for a cruise. I have good reverse, when I put in drive it starts in 2nd and will not up shift into 3rd. It will go into 1st if I manually shift it. I don't remember all the specs for clearances, but I did make several calls to a&a when I assembled it to verify. The air pressure checks on assembly checked out as well. I've adjusted the cable about 5 different ways with no difference. Anybody have any experience in this or point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Possibly something incorrectly assembled in the valve body or a stuck governor. I'd drop the VB and get out the TF-2 instructions and go back through it and check the governor

I think something in the vb. Don't bad governors usually start in third? "Your symptoms may vary"..Maybe a combination of a bad governor and a stuck 2-3 valve.

It is possible to put the 1-2 shift valve in the wrong way. The PTKD housing & end plate will still fit, but due to the contour of the 1-2 shift valve the channel that feeds oil to the front servo will be uncovered when the car is at rest, giving you a second gear start. I'm with Tracy & CudaFactHackJob on this, plus the fact you said your air pressure test checked out fine, confirms the fault should be found in the valve body.

Thanks for the responses, I'm not sure why I didn't go through the governor while I had it apart. Im going to pull the valve body and double check the tf-2 info.

-
Back