A904 TF-2 kit Orifice plug 3rd gear; Yay or Nay?

-

Woods74

Broke Senior
Reaction score
Putting together my trans, I'd like to do this once, what say you?

Thanks!

According the TF-2 instructions should you only use the orifice plug in the 727. Just a thought.

Yeah, after consulting the instructions, I won't install it. Thanks!

So your instructions say not to use it in a 904? As I mentioned in my PM I'm not really a 904 guy, have mostly only done 727's in high perf. apps. Just looked at the Trans-go instructions I have and it tells to install the orifice plug. Doesn't say anything about not doing it on the 904. I wonder if they've changed some things? What is the copyright date on your instructions?

If Tom Hand says use it, I would.

Fishy68 on my TF-2 instructions is the copyright date 2011.
DSC_2300_zpsf87edd44.jpg

After reading about the 2-3 overlap and how the band and front clutch should disengage simultaneously. So if you have 2-3 overlap issues, install the orifice plug to time the 2-3 overlap event. You can drill the hole larger in the orifice plug to get the front clutch apply faster and tailor the 2-3 shift.

Fishy68 on my TF-2 instructions is the copyright date 2011.

After reading about the 2-3 overlap and how the band and front clutch should disengage simultaneously. So if you have 2-3 overlap issues, install the orifice plug to time the 2-3 overlap event. You can drill the hole larger in the orifice plug to get the front clutch apply faster and tailor the 2-3 shift.

Thanks Pompis. I just looked at my instructions and they are copyright 2004. It's from a kit I bought about 2 yrs. ago. Must have been right before they changed things. The picture looks the same except it doesn't say for 727 models only. Makes me wonder what they changed or why they decided it isn't needed anymore.

Attachments

• TransGo TF2 Pg7.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 643
The instructions i got said to use the plug but if shift quality was a problem remove the plug, this was a transgo kit i got from summit this year and have used to rebuild my 904 unfortunately still waiting with the motor to be installed

i now wonder if thats whats goin on with my 904 i used a pa performance rebuild kit with i think a 4.2 lever n billet servo n 2500 hughes converter n a transgo tf2 kit goin from second to third either hits hard or feels like it overlaps i know i didnt install that plug i am pretty sure my directions said that was 727 only should i drop the pan n valve body yet again? been drivin it for months hasnt givin up yet but dont seem right

ok well out in garage n looked at paper work it deff says 727 only should i take a bath in trans fluid again n try that shifts arent unbearable but dont want it self distructing

ok well out in garage n looked at paper work it deff says 727 only should i take a bath in trans fluid again n try that shifts arent unbearable but dont want it self distructing

If it is indeed overlapping that can really shorten the life of the trans. and I would do what it took to cure it. Before I dropped the valve body I'd try backing the front band adjustment off 1/4-1/2 turn and see what happened. Sometimes that's all it takes. Backing off the throttle pressure adjustment would also help but it will also affect the 1-2 shift, the speeds at which it shifts and the kickdown function, which you may not like.

-
Back