A904 transmission not engaging in any gear

-

Cardinge72

72duster340
Reaction score
I have a 1972 duster with a 340 bolted to a 904 transmission drove the car to get exhaust work done and drove the car back with no issues parked the car now the transmission has no gears. the fluid is full and no leaks and doesn't seem to smell burnt. need some suggestions on what to check there is no slippage when the car is in gear it seems like the transmission is in neutral all the time

No reverse either?
Get it safely up on stands and check fluid pressures.
Possible broken torque converter hub (drives transmission oil pump) if no pressure at all. Possible worn out clutches if pressures are in range, but further testing will be in order.

Are you sure the trans shift linkage is actually shifting the transmission?

Maybe shop removed a rod but did not reattach it correctly,

Yes that is correct no reverse also. I also changed the trans filter and the gasket added new oil and still no movement so I pulled the cooler lines and I have no oil flow? Tourque converter or pump I’m guessing but not sure

Inspect the shift linkage and make sure all of it is connected properly.

Yup I checked it properly with car running And in park with engine up to normal operating temp.

transmission fluid needs to be checked in neutral.....not park....not sure if that is what you meant

Full in park is not full in neutral. I'm still having a hard time believing that people don't know that mopars check in neutral. Tha's why i asked what you meant by 'full'.

-
Back