AC magnum swap question

-

wes beem

Reaction score
I have a 360 magnum motor in my 70 dart with an LA timing cover/ V belt set up and eddy 4bbl carb intake. Humoring the idea of buying an aftermarket AC kit but is it even possible to mount a compressor with this configuration? Need any info i can get on making it happen thanks!

53615558_351369758920466_3847985045868380160_n.jpg
57106663_10210825242427092_8303396759380426752_n.jpg

Yes but need more information to answer entirely. Stock LA A/C configuration will work with proper pulleys and mounts. Compressor mounts basically under top radiator hose.You already have double pulley Alt but can't tell other pulleys from pic. Should be plenty of pictures here on FABO. Aftermarket may be set up differently. Depends on who you purchase from but I would consult with them.

Yes but need more information to answer entirely. Stock LA A/C configuration will work with proper pulleys and mounts. Compressor mounts basically under top radiator hose.You already have double pulley Alt but can't tell other pulleys from pic. Should be plenty of pictures here on FABO. Aftermarket may be set up differently. Depends on who you purchase from but I would consult with them.
my main concern was whether or not an LA style compressor will mount to the magnum motor

Since you already have the la front end on the engine, it is effectively the same as an la.

I just put factory air salvaged out of another car in my 69 cuda, so I did it the hard way. Since mine has a 360 swapped in, nothing much was stock. It was an ordeal getting the belts all set up. mine had power steering which complicates things. Dodge V8 trucks, which are very similar and plentiful in junkyards, are a good source of parts. Since you don’t have power steering or a mechanical fan yours should be easy. Some aftermarket intake manifolds are not compatible with a/c due to missing mounting features.

The aftermarket a/c guys sell brackets a lot of applications, but all their stuff is pricey.

Have you checked to see if a Sanden style compressor would work? Way better than an RV 2 compressor.

Good info Mike. Whatever donor vehicle you find, it's a good idea to grab all of the pulleys. Mix and match can cause headaches with alignment.

Looks like you are running an LA style intake, which works with most aftermarket systems. I was looking into running the serpentine belt system that come with my Magnum, but the thermostat housing does not have enough clearance if using a LA intake. If you go with someone like Vintage Air, as others have said, they will sell the front brackets as part of the kit. They also use the Sanden compressors which are smaller (fit better) and use the new refrigerants.

thanks guys! Might be an upgrade i do over winter in preparation for next summer

DrEamer. Check this thread. Magnum front with LA intake may work with some mods. Contemplating this myself.
Crosswind air gap clone and ram truck serpentine setup

Thanks for the link, I have seen a couple of other threads on the subject here before, but not that one. I most likely will stick with the Vintage Air V belt set up because it is meant to work together on a LA front assembly. If I were able to use a Magnum intake then I might consider the serpentine belt more.

Hers mine with a Sanden comp. and P/S . You will have to make a mod to the comp mount to accommodate the magnum intake bolt style.

IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

Looks good!
Where did you get the compressor bracket? What was the model number of the compressor that you used? And how well does it cool?

Looks good!
Where did you get the compressor bracket? What was the model number of the compressor that you used? And how well does it cool?
Suggest you get on "Bouchilon's" web sight. I used their bracket #BPE4732 A/C. Had to modify part of it to fit the Magnum style intake I ran along with the LA front cover - and my bracket was for a P/S equipped car, which you don't have. Also had to use their crank and water pump pulleys for a 2 belt system. Compressor ( Sanden) was from "Old air products" - 7H13. Their part # 21-7312. My Duster had factory air, so I just updated the compressor and hi /low side lines and used all the other original stuff ( condenser, evaporator, expansion valve ). Cools great! Again, go to Bouchilon's site first.

Thanks!
I'll have to come up with some kind of an idler wheel where your power steering is.

Thanks!
I'll have to come up with some kind of an idler wheel where your power steering is.
Ya, you will probably need to do that. Here is a few more pics of the A/C pump bracket mod I had to make for the magnum intake and A/C lines / routing. Hope this helps. John

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

Ya, you will probably need to do that. Here is a few more pics of the A/C pump bracket mod I had to make for the magnum intake and A/C lines / routing. Hope this helps. John

View attachment 1715368521

View attachment 1715368522

View attachment 1715368523

Hey John was the mod to the compressor bracket done in order to move the compressor closer to the front of the engine?

On my magnum engine, the standard Buchillion bracketry has the compressor sitting on the bypass hose and back far enough to block the upper radiator hose from attaching to the thermostat housing.

-
Back