AC on a slant 6 motor.

-

Docmcg

Reaction score
For those of you running a slant 6 powered car (or truck) with AC, where and how is your compressor mounted? I have a /6 powered A100 pickup and am considering adding AC. Problem is, there’s not a lot of room in the “dog house”. Charlie S is working with me to fabricate a mount above the alternator (which is on the driver’s side of the motor). Space is very limited and this has become a bit of a head scratcher. If anyone can offer some insight, it would be much appreciated. Pictures would be a huge plus. Thanks, Steve.

A late 70’s slant mount for a Sanden style compressor would work

Yeah IF you can find that setup...... Took me a while

Eric forgot to mention he wants to use a offie intake with 2 webber carbs. and dual dutra exhaust. I'm going to try and borrow a Sanden shorty (sd7h13) compressor, and see if it will fit.
I have the Sanden "blue print" sheet that shows the dimensions of the compressor, and it looks like a "maybe".

Eric forgot to mention he wants to use a offie intake with 2 webber carbs. and dual dutra exhaust. I'm going to try and borrow a Sanden shorty (sd7h13) compressor, and see if it will fit.
I have the Sanden "blue print" sheet that shows the dimensions of the compressor, and it looks like a "maybe".
I have a Sanden H13 "shorty" on my 1964 slant. It is about 1" shorter than the more common H14-H16 (same external dimensions), I recall all in the spacing between the mounting ears. I used it because previously on my 1985 M-B 300D (custom brackets a guy on a forum sells). Didn't really need the shorter length in my slant. I mounted it on custom brackets where a p.s. bracket would bolt and used the OE AC pulley that bolts inboard on the damper. The belt runs on the outer groove of the Sanden pulley.

Last edited:
I am slowly collecting parts to install " factory" AC on an 85 D150 with a /6. I have a combo of new and old parts already, I am still needing a few more things. I'm gonna have to dig my factory 84 and 85 factory service manuals on CD plus my 80 paper copy FSM out and compare them all to see if I have it all.

-
Back