Accurate Exhaust Products -Review of Complete System

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently purchased a complete exhaust system for my 68 Val from Accurate Exhaust. Here are my impressions. I spoke with Colby on the phone. I was just trying to get info at that point, but Colby knew his stuff so I went ahead and placed my order. The complete system for my car w/ the optional stainlessness tips and magnum mufflers was $1100 and some change. Yikes! The price was pretty salty!

The system as shipped was packaged very well. I confirmed everything was there, and it was. They have included every nut, bolt, hanger, gasket and clamp you need. I especially like the bolt cages that hold the manifold bolts in place and keep them from spinning while you are tightening them from below.

I test fitted the system and it seemed to be a good fit but it is always hard to tell until you get everything bolted down. I also decided to cut some slits in the female ends of the lap joints so I can remove the exhaust when and if I need to.

I was installing mine on the floor. Argh! Pain in the butt! On the passenger's side i had to install a brace to hold the hanger on that side as none was installed from the factory. I got close but missed the mark by about a half inch. I ended up with 4 extra holes in the body. Not ideal but i siliconed them for now. When the complete resto happens (someday!!!!!) I'll weld the bracket in and fill the holes properly.

Yesterday I finally got to adjust and tighten everything down. It took some adjusting to be sure but in the end everything fit very well. I was impressed that these guys could bend up a production exhaust that fit as well as this one did. It hugs the floors. The mufflers fit in the wells exactly where they should. The down pipe on the driver's side snakes PERFECTLY past all my clutch linkages and starter. I am hard pressed to find anything negatve to say at all.

If I have to offer any criticism (and that would be a strong word for it) the over the hump pipes come within a half inch or less of the frame rails at one point on either side. I hope this doesn't create a rattle. And the stainless exhaust tips were about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch difference in height as measured from the bottom of the bumper. This can hardly be considered a criticism though when you take into account the numerous variables involved. And even though i was probably the only one who would ever notice it, I fixed it quite easily by slotting one of the tip brackets a bit to give some downward adjustment room. They are now level as you please.

All in all, if you can afford the price, I think anyone would be happy with this system. I surely am so far. I can't wait to fire up the car up (hopefully ready by this weekend) and see how she sounds and perfoms.

So is Accurate Exhaust actually accurate? In this case the answer is yes! And I would recommend them to anyone.

This is the system I bought.
1967-73 A Body Exhaust Systems (Small Block)

Last edited:
1100 is a chunk of change
does that include the headers?

I just finished installing my complete accurate deluxe dual system on my 67 Barracuda. I had a similar experience. Could use more detailed instructions. I plan on starting my motor for the first time Friday. Very nervous about it!

I've only bought tailpipes & tips from them, but they fit great, even the 2.50" dia. ones.

Nice to read a good review:)
Regarding the tailpipe difference in height,could it possibly be your bumper sitting alitle angled? Just a thought considering that everything else seemed to line up right. BTW its fantastic that things fit from time to time on these cars:)

From what I have been told the products are really nice. Weldon exhaust quoted me a price for my 65 barracuda formula S for way less money and had good reviews as well. I can't verify their product because I am not to that point yet.

Nice to read a good review:)
Regarding the tailpipe difference in height,could it possibly be your bumper sitting alitle angled? Just a thought considering that everything else seemed to line up right. BTW its fantastic that things fit from time to time on these cars:)

Yeah you could be right. I never thought to measure from the floor, but then my carport floor is far from level too!

From what I have been told the products are really nice. Weldon exhaust quoted me a price for my 65 barracuda formula S for way less money and had good reviews as well. I can't verify their product because I am not to that point yet.

Do you remember what their price was?

Negatory. And I am running 340 manifolds.
ouch

I calculated the cost, and I thought it was not too far off of mine
$700 for a set of dougs headers (used the autozone code to get them for 500)
$250 for a summit exhaust kit

sounded like it was ballpark, but without headers...ouch

The cost for my 65 barracuda formula S was 695. This was a stock system. Didn't include the manifold pipe or headers. It did include the resonator that sales for 225 alone.

My 65 formula S stock system is single exhaust, but they offer most anything

ouch

I calculated the cost, and I thought it was not too far off of mine
$700 for a set of dougs headers (used the autozone code to get them for 500)
$250 for a summit exhaust kit

sounded like it was ballpark, but without headers...ouch

Yeah I think the basic system is $795 ish. I opted for stainless mufflers and the stainless tips kit. Shipping was also pretty dear. They package the crap out of it and it is pretty heavy.

I also have a 2.5 inch summit header back system (which I'm going to sell) that I didn't end up using. The quality difference between the Accurate system and the Summit system is pretty obvious when you put them side by side.

I take your point though. Definitely not for the thrifty minded (as I usually am) !!!

Those Summit systems are sort of "universal" and if you are willing to tweak some pipes and possibly do a little welding too, they are O.K.
But for a truly "bolt-on" exhaust I'd only recommend TTI or Accurate.

I just finished installing my complete accurate deluxe dual system on my 67 Barracuda. I had a similar experience. Could use more detailed instructions. I plan on starting my motor for the first time Friday. Very nervous about it!
To expand on my 67 Barracuda dual install, I called TTI first looking for headpipes. TTI told me they could do headpipe for my left manifold casting number but could not provide one to the right manifold casting number. In frustration, I called Accurate and talked to their engineer-Tom. I have him my casting numbers and he said he had headpipes for both and guaranteed they would fit as he was the one who designed the system. Knowing that Ma never made a right side dual system for the 67 273 cars Tom assured me his would fit. It shipped that day and I had it in my hands the next day FedEx. It was the complete deluxe system and I was in about 1K all in delivered. The beauty of the system is how nice the headpipes fit, especially the right side. The whole system fit but it took me a couple days to get it on the car. I recommend them highly and for these rare hard to source exhaust systems you get what you pay for.
My experience and opinion FWIW------DR------:)

I installed the complete Accurate Exhaust kit on my 69 Dart as well. Everything fit nicely under the car. Unfortunately, the guy who hung the exhaust was a bit of an idiot so everything doesn't flow perfectly straight (but you can't really notice that unless you are under the car). And here is what the Accurate Exhaust sounds like on a lightly modified 318.

Last edited:
I ordered a "HIPO System" for early A's from them and changed a few variables like no resonator, a turn down rear pipe, and a quieter muffler. It fit well, sounds good, and after a hanger broke I called Tom and had a new one for free in a few days.

Worth it.

Last edited:
I have used Accurate before myself and was very impressed. I looked Tom Swope up at Carlisle and talked with him a little. He knows his stuff for sure.A little pricey but it will fit. Highly recommend.

Hey All,

I recently purchased a complete exhaust system for my 68 Val from Accurate Exhaust. Here are my impressions. I spoke with Colby on the phone. I was just trying to get info at that point, but Colby knew his stuff so I went ahead and placed my order. The complete system for my car w/ the optional stainlessness tips and magnum mufflers was $1100 and some change. Yikes! The price was pretty salty!

The system as shipped was packaged very well. I confirmed everything was there, and it was. They have included every nut, bolt, hanger, gasket and clamp you need. I especially like the bolt cages that hold the manifold bolts in place and keep them from spinning while you are tightening them from below.
I test fitted the system and it seemed to be a good fit but it is always hard to tell until you get everything bolted down. I also decided to cut some slits in the female ends of the lap joints so I can remove the exhaust when and if I need to.

I was installing mine on the floor. Argh! Pain in the butt! On the passenger's side i had to install a brace to hold the hanger on that side as none was installed from the factory. I got close but missed the mark by about a half inch. I ended up with 4 extra holes in the body. Not ideal but i siliconed them for now. When the complete resto happens (someday!!!!!) I'll weld the bracket in and fill the holes properly.

Yesterday I finally got to adjust and tighten everything down. It took some adjusting to be sure but in the end everything fit very well. I was impressed that these guys could bend up a production exhaust that fit as well as this one did. It hugs the floors. The mufflers fit in the wells exactly where they should. The down pipe on the driver's side snakes PERFECTLY past all my clutch linkages and starter. I am hard pressed to find anything negatve to say at all.

If I have to offer any criticism (and that would be a strong word for it) the over the hump pipes come within a half inch or less of the frame rails at one point on either side. I hope this doesn't create a rattle. And the stainless exhaust tips were about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch difference in height as measured from the bottom of the bumper. This can hardly be considered a criticism though when you take into account the numerous variables involved. And even though i was probably the only one who would ever notice it, I fixed it quite easily by slotting one of the tip brackets a bit to give some downward adjustment room. They are now level as you please.

All in all, if you can afford the price, I think anyone would be happy with this system. I surely am so far. I can't wait to fire up the car up (hopefully ready by this weekend) and see how she sounds and perfoms.

So is Accurate Exhaust actually accurate? In this case the answer is yes! And I would recommend them to anyone.

This is the system I bought.
1967-73 A Body Exhaust Systems (Small Block)
That is about the going price with shipping.

Good to hear! I'm considering possibly running their T/A style exhaust on my Duster eventually.

-
Back