Accurate Package Tracking Has Gone Way of the Dinosaur

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dibbons, Nov 8, 2018.

1. dibbons

dibbons Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:10 PM
    On Ebay i recently ordered some special face cream from Greece and an NOS parking cable from USA. Tracking packages I got the message for both have been "Delivered!" That's funny, I don't have any packages.

The truth is the packages were "delivered" to transfer stations en route to my address. That's what you get for having computers do all the thinking for us.

package.jpg

2. Ddaddy

Ddaddy I'm changing the World... one pixel at a time! FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    7:10 PM
    Gee, and yet without computers, you wouldn’t be able to track them at all...just sit and wait for them to arrive.

And of course, you would have had to place the orders by phone and wait a lot longer for the non-computerized manual system process and ship them. Also, your credit card processing would have taken several days to complete before they would even begin to process the order.

3. diymirage

diymirage HP@idle > hondaHP@redline

Local Time:
    fixed it for ya

4. inkjunkie

inkjunkie Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:10 PM
    How many of us had a job that took credit cards...when we had to look up the cards in a book?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Ddaddy

Ddaddy I'm changing the World... one pixel at a time! FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Yep, or later call into the issuing company to verify the account? Back in the early 80s I worked at a retail store that required us to call into the credit card center and write the authorization code on the imprint slip after we had imprinted the card.

Most people in the modern word don’t realize that crdit cards have raised numbers and other info so they can be run through one of those manual imprint machines and capture the information on a paper slip.

3 copies with carbon paper in between. White copy for the drawer, pink copy to accounting and the yellow copy for the customer.

All of the sales information and prices were hand written on the imprint slip. Press hard with the pen, you have to go through all 3 copies.

Paying by credit card back then took a lot of extra time to process it all before you could serve the next customer.

• Cope

Cope Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      6:10 PM
      Remember the special typewriter for checks?

Click, click,click,click Cachunk!