which swap nets the best ET ?

• A better cam for the win

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • A better head for the win

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
-
1672972588783.jpeg

To me this one is an absolute no-brainer... Trick flow heads versus a cam is this even a discussion...
Although I know this is just all for argument's sake and completely argumentative from the get-go and non-reality but just pie in the sky talk but who in the heck can afford trick flow heads the rocker assembly hold down bolts gasket sealer gaskets for the intake likely new push rods as opposed to a cam?
You got your heads off for crying out loud at that point you just spent probably well over 3K and you're not going to spend $99 to have your Camry ground? You're not going to at least spend 200 bucks and buy a cheap set of headers?...
The next thread looks supposed to different ideas replacing the slant 6 with a big block stroker and leaving the 7 1/4 rear end and can't make any other changes or putting a Dana 60 and behind your six?...

To me this one is an absolute no-brainer... Trick flow heads versus a cam is this even a discussion...
Although I know this is just all for argument's sake and completely argumentative from the get-go and non-reality but just pie in the sky talk but who in the heck can afford trick flow heads the rocker assembly hold down bolts gasket sealer gaskets for the intake likely new push rods as opposed to a cam?
You got your heads off for crying out loud at that point you just spent probably well over 3K and you're not going to spend $99 to have your Camry ground? You're not going to at least spend 200 bucks and buy a cheap set of headers?...
The next thread looks supposed to different ideas replacing the slant 6 with a big block stroker and leaving the 7 1/4 rear end and can't make any other changes or putting a Dana 60 and behind your six?...
It has been reality in my life. There have been times only the heads were replaced. Other times only the cam. I shared my experience. Curious of what others have experienced or where there thoughts are between the two. I think the discussion is relative to our hobby. What somebody has experienced or prefers is not really up for debate. I like hearing why somebody would choose one or the other.

It has been reality in my life. There have been times only the heads were replaced. Other times only the cam. I shared my experience. Curious of what others have experienced or where there thoughts are between the two. I think the discussion is relative to our hobby. What somebody has experienced or prefers is not really up for debate. I like hearing why somebody would choose one or the other.
I seriously didn't read through at least the second page but I could swear your original comment said something about if budget didn't matter and trick flow heads were on the table..

I seriously didn't read through at least the second page but I could swear your original comment said something about if budget didn't matter and trick flow heads were on the table..
Not to buy, just to talk about as the Holy Grail.

Possibly a draw, but if I had to pick one heads, but driveability wise trick flow with a stock 318 cam gonna be better than a crazy amount of duration and stock 318 heads.

LS/Hemi make crazy power with mild cams because of there heads. Even magnum heads gave a good bump in power without much cam.

Last edited:
I was in now I'm out what if I won the lottery LOL what would I do with the money...???..

I was in now I'm out what if I won the lottery LOL what would I do with the money...???..
Some of us like to chat about cars..... Toolbox talk so to speak :) Scenarios can be fun, and somebody could learn something or even get an idea for their present car.

Some of us like to chat about cars..... Toolbox talk so to speak :) Scenarios can be fun, and somebody could learn something or even get an idea for their present car.
I pressed the unwatch button but you quoted me back in here so the truth of the matter is I like trying to make a decision or maybe even a future decision and helping other people wrestle with the best case scenario decision when they're on the edge of one way or the other, but fantasy talk isn't my thing..

well.... 318 cam would be .399 lift ....
Take trick flow there probably out flowing 318 heads by .150" lift and at .399" lift flowing a least 100 cfm more sure it's only got a 240 degrees to do it, question is another 40-80 degrees of time gonna make up for the terrible flow of the 318 head, which be lucky under these conditions to make 325 hp, I'd say trick flow and stock cam could easily match and probably do more.

Take trick flow there probably out flowing 318 heads by .150" lift and at .399" lift flowing a least 100 cfm more sure it's only got a 240 degrees to do it, question is another 40-80 degrees of time gonna make up for the terrible flow of the 318 head, which be lucky under these conditions to make 325 hp, I'd say trick flow and stock cam could easily match and probably do more.
I would think a OOTB eddy head would be all it would take. With the performer on top and the 600, it would use everything the stock cam would allow on both intake and exhaust

I would think a OOTB eddy head would be all it would take. With the performer on top and the 600, it would use everything the stock cam would allow on both intake and exhaust
:rolleyes::lol:

stock cam ant taxing them stock heads at all,...or your stock exhaust manifolds! better heads would just be choked without a good set of headers and would suck with a stock cam! so my vote is for a whiplash type cam thats designed to trap more air/fuel and build higher dynamic compression with you lil stock teener engine!

Possibly a draw, but if I had to pick one heads, but driveability wise trick flow with a stock 318 cam gonna be better than a crazy amount of duration and stock 318 heads.

LS/Hemi make crazy power with mild cams because of there heads. Even magnum heads gave a good bump in power without much cam.
Well and compression.

Agreed. The whole point of bench racing.To share experiences Helps with guess work.

318willrun, As a person with a B body and a 318 I enjoy your videos and information.
Thank you.

-
Back