ADDCO VS. PST Rear Sway Bar

-

scatpackbee

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the ADDCO and PST 7/8 diameter rear sway bars that fit a ‘69 Dart are the same?

They look very similar in the pictures but there is a $40 difference in price.

Thank you.

ADDCO

7EFE2473-4831-474F-979C-E4D2427FF4C5.jpeg

PST

AA06365A-769B-4D86-8953-F46F931AC75C.jpeg

I don’t. But they look like under axle mounted. FirmFeel has an over axle mounted bar for anouther option.

Probably both made by Addco.

Addco made the ones sold by Direct Connection and MP years ago.

The older Addco’s and MP’s had more gentle radius’s on the bends of the bar. Function same. Same attaching hardware

Also, many sway bar companies private label bars too. A company comes to them with a design or they pay for a design. Then sway bar manufacture makes a number of prices in whatever form of completion all for a set fee.

Last edited:
That top picture looks just like the Direct Connection one I put on my car over 25 years ago

Here’s an older Addco/MP/Direct Connection (and probably others) installed on my Cuda at one time

5697883-4_6_07CudaAlignment0104Sm.jpg

I used the Addco 919 (3/4 in diameter) bar in my 65 with 8.75 rear end. It’s not quite a below-the-axle bar but more horizontal behind the axle.

This is a 71 Dart with the Direct Connection kit. I think they just copied it.

IMG_20211008_182915360.jpg

IMG_20211008_182956893.jpg

Right now it might be down to the one you can get. Everyone is low or out of stock but with that they sure do look the same. Not many other ways you could put one on with a stock set up back there.

The parts are arranged differently in the photos, but looking at each piece individually, they look identical. One difference might be that PST supplies polyurethane bushings (since they sell a lot of these), while AFAIK Addco supplies rubber bushings. I have the older style Addco kit as shown in some of the other photos (and their front bar as well). Poly might be a little harsh on the rear bar... depends on how hard-core you want to be. Might be worth asking them.

OK, im confused. I also Want to to put on a bar. looked under my 70 Dart and did not see the mount to the frame like the one in post 7, which Looks like a factory mount. Are the square u bolts and flat u shape brackets used to bolt to the frame ?

1008211925d.jpg

1008211925c.jpg

1008211925b.jpg

1008211925.jpg

OK, im confused. I also Want to to put on a bar. looked under my 70 Dart and did not see the mount to the frame like the one in post 7, which Looks like a factory mount. Are the square u bolts and flat u shape brackets used to bolt to the frame ?

Not a factory mount.

Mounting parts come with the kit.

Not a factory mount.

Mounting parts come with the kit.
OK, Thanks
One other question, i see two varities out there, one a mostly straighten bar and the ones Here with bends, whats the difference, is one better than the other ??

OK, Thanks
One other question, i see two varities out there, one a mostly straighten bar and the ones Here with bends, whats the difference, is one better than the other ??

your preference. All kinds of factors determine the rate. Lots of different ways and paths to get to the same place.

The hardware on the ADCO one installed was pretty crappy. Wouldn’t buy another one.

Search the site for Helwig, Hotchkis, and Firm Feel rear sway bar installs.

there’s pictures of installs.

Here’s a few pics of the FF rear bar. Not the greatest pics as it’s not on a lift. The bar ends hook to a plate that is under the axle U bolts. The bar then had mounts on the front frame rails with the bar ends pointed rearwards. There is plenty of clearance with full exhaust, currently have 2.5in system from headers back.

9DB1C536-16FC-4761-A51B-CFEE7CCA73E0.jpeg

24E9623A-D8A8-4E6B-AB93-84D88540DDCD.jpeg

Here’s a few pics of the FF rear bar. Not the greatest pics as it’s not on a lift. The bar ends hook to a plate that is under the axle U bolts. The bar then had mounts on the front frame rails with the bar ends pointed rearwards. There is plenty of clearance with full exhaust, currently have 2.5in system from headers back.

View attachment 1715802865

View attachment 1715802866

The FF design is a copy of the factory design...

The hardware on the ADCO one installed was pretty crappy. Wouldn’t buy another one.
Right! That was going to be my point. The actual Addco BAR is good quality. They skimp on hardware to get the price down. There's enough price difference to buy the Addco bar and buy good hardware and still be ahead of the game compared to other brands of bars. That's what I did on the front of Vixen.

That’s just an Addco in DC packaging

Probably. I put it on the car about 20 years ago and I remember it came in a Mopar performance box and inside that was a Direction Connection box. Mopar doesn't make most of their stuff anyway, they just far it out to the cheapest bidder.

It does work quite well though and has never shifted around so the mounting must be good enough.

It does work quite well though and has never shifted around so the mounting must be good enough.

As long as you don’t have rusty frame rails, your good.

I have / had them on my 68 Dart conv and 68 barracuda

-
Back