adding A/C

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
how much of a job is it to add air conditioning to a non air car (65 dart)?. at home or a pro shop handle it? R12 or 134A ?. thank you for your time. RR

Well I got my eye on a 65 A with a 273 (360/408 maybe added). it hit 103 here yesterday with high humidity so A/C is gonna be a must have!. RR

Well I got my eye on a 65 A with a 273 (360/408 maybe added). it hit 103 here yesterday with high humidity so A/C is gonna be a must have!. RR
Personally I'm into the fabrication part of the hobby so making a custom bracket for my duster or my power wagon was part of the fun. But if you're into plug and play and have the coin CVF racing has a pulley and bracket kit that will accommodate.. The 134A is a no-brainer.. I prefer the cold master 22,000 plus BTU unit over the vintage air or old air that I've helped customers install. It's the difference between yeah I can feel a little cool air and turn that damn thing down before my fingers go numb....

Don't forget to tint the windows. Untinted glass is like a magnifier in the sun.

I’m in process of putting the factory stuff in a ‘66 Valiant - it’s a ton of time & effort; an aftermarket kit would be much more manageable.
I think the biggest item would be the engine accessory drive system.

I put a factory air in my 69 Cuda that was salvaged from a dart. A lot of work, but turned out nice. A knee knocker type would be the easiest, not hard with some decent mechanical skills.

I put a factory air in my 69 Cuda that was salvaged from a dart. A lot of work, but turned out nice. A knee knocker type would be the easiest, not hard with some decent mechanical skills.
And we need to make sure people don't get hung up on the word "knee knocker"..
This doesn't mean that it knocks your knees when you get in because my 6 foot 4 friend has plenty of legroom with it hanging in the passenger side. I believe it refers to if you were to hit the brakes and get it in an accident or something...
Most vintage air and old air systems are in the 13 to 14,000 BTUs.. when you feel that 22,000 plus BTU you'll know your money was spent well...

the 65 dart for sale here caught my eye & would be a good fit in my stable but I gotta have A/C. I remember being in a car decades ago that would freeze you to death if you maxed it! (a cadillac iirc).

And we need to make sure people don't get hung up on the word "knee knocker"..
This doesn't mean that it knocks your knees when you get in because my 6 foot 4 friend has plenty of legroom with it hanging in the passenger side. I believe it refers to if you were to hit the brakes and get it in an accident or something...
Most vintage air and old air systems are in the 13 to 14,000 BTUs.. when you feel that 22,000 plus BTU you'll know your money was spent well...

Yep, that is what we used to call them back in the day. I had one in my 66 dart, worked great!.

Since it had a condensation drain, one of my pals would pour drinks that got warm in it to get rid of them. Bourbon perfume in the car….

-
Back