adding HP to 273 small block

-

tom catanzarite

Reaction score
:?: I want to ad HP to my 273 small block , What can I do? what questios do I ask my mechanic to insure that my next investment into my toy are the right ones ? thanks guys , yellowcuda

I would look in to finda a 360. 273s have very small bores wich make it hard to make power with.

If you really want to keep the 273 I think a set of late model magnum heads and a M1 dual plane intake with a small cam like a comp cams 262XE or a stock 340 cam would wake it up.

I used to run a 273 and the cost to build will be alot more
for the amount of HP you get out of it. I agree with ABJoe
360 is the easiest way to go less cost for more HP.
67Valiant360>

i hav a 318 that iv been putting money into thats hopefully going to plant the car into the low 13's if she feels up to it im going with a 340 as soon as i can get one and or a 360 but id like the 340 iv always loved them bad boys

The 273 is a small mill.

Make your choices on the conservative side.

If you're not into a tear down, buy small bolt ons. A big carb will kill you, so will a big cam ect.

I would start with regular bolt ons...a good dual plain manifold, headers, a carb upgrade, a good ignition system.

Then maybe a custom ground cam from Racer Brown (it only sounds expensive)...

The heads you have will meet your needs. Don (cuda66273) runs 11's with those heads (heavily modified of course, but still small valves) on a 318.

-
Back