Adding Vinyl Top

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of a vinyl top...
What all is involved and needed to put a vinyl top on a car that never had one?

Jeff

Dont do it man, dont do it. I was gonna do it on my kids 69 notch to help hide all the sins in the roof, now i'm just gonna fix the roof and paint it.

In many cases the added trim for vinyl top was attached with small studs welded to the body. So it might not be easy/simple to do.

Once you do that, if you decide you want to undo it, you will be doing a full exterior repaint to get rid of it.

IMG_0676.jpg

I love the look...

downloadfile.jpg

Jeff

I love the look also. Almost put one on my 65 cuda even though they were not rally available until 66. local guy has a black top on his 66 cuda & looks awesome. Got all the original trim which was a hens tooth hunt. Was going to attempt to do myself but after researching decided it was a lot more complex than just trim,glue & top fabric. Decided to just leave my top painted. Once you are committed to a vinyl top, that's it.
Highly recommend a professional install.

I love the look also. Almost put one on my 65 cuda even though they were not rally available until 66. local guy has a black top on his 66 cuda & looks awesome. Got all the original trim which was a hens tooth hunt. Was going to attempt to do myself but after researching decided it was a lot more complex than just trim,glue & top fabric. Decided to just leave my top painted. Once you are committed to a vinyl top, that's it.
Highly recommend a professional install.
My 65 had the vinyl roof. Think they called it a targa top.
The little tabs are held on with screws across the roof. Cheaper for me to weld the holes shut and paint. I think i need to see if drip rail chrome will work without the vinyl roof.i got the car all stripped as an abandoned project.

Every once awhile I feel the need to make changes with the Dart, when I feel this way...I park it, and cover it up for about a week or so. Then when I get it back out again, I thank myself for not changing a damn thing........

Doing the vinyl itself is not that difficult. I did mine on the Duster. I'm sure going down behind the rear glass adds a bit of a pain factor though. Did not have to deal with that on canopy top. But then you don't have the A-pillars to cover...
Most of the factory trim was on with studs. On the Duster there are screws on the ends of the canopy top back trim and the little pieces at bottom of the A pillars. If adding it yourself, I would think most of it would be screwed on. While screws can be sealed, it certainly adds potential leak spots.
That said, I really like the look of a vinyl top. Do what you like.

I'm like MrJLR, i like a vinyl top look, i'm doing a 74 duster and adding a canopy 1/2 vinyl top, the welded studs are not there. but they make a special screw and plastic clip to snap the chrome trim on, i will say most people that dont like vinyl tops are because they 1/2 assed the metal at the factory , most of the metal tops were put on and used lead as filler, which they used very little primer on,and even less paint,then the buyer s in the 70s were limited to any type of waterproof dressing for the the top, and most parked under a tree and washed their cars once a year,then the top got ragged and they wondered where all the rust came from. With available products today to keep the vinyl dressed and a little elbow work, a vinyl top should do fine as long as you prepare the metal before putting the vinyl over it.

Anyone has any idea where to get a canopy vinyl top for a 74 Duster? May need to replace mine. Thanks

Most of our cars are not the sole transportation and are well cared for, garaged, not driven in inclement weather, maintained meticulously. So yeah, you want to do a vinyl top, get er done! I’ll be doing one on my 69’ Dart GT.

In many cases the added trim for vinyl top was attached with small studs welded to the body. So it might not be easy/simple to do.
They make the studs now, that use a small screw to attach them to the body.
I am on the fence right now on putting a vinal top on my car. It was just painted, but left the windshield and back window molding off. Need to decide soon, cruising season is here.

JmNCjP.jpg

Most of our cars are not the sole transportation and are well cared for, garaged, not driven in inclement weather, maintained meticulously. So yeah, you want to do a vinyl top, get er done! I’ll be doing one on my 69’ Dart GT.
I'm sure leaning that way...looks classy!

Jeff

They make the studs now, that use a small screw to attach them to the body.
I am on the fence right now on putting a vinal top on my car. It was just painted, but left the windshield and back window molding off. Need to decide soon, cruising season is here.

View attachment 1715343103
Ca
I'm sure leaning that way...looks classy!

Jeff
Can someone point me towards the (screws & molding clips) my son what’s to add a vinyl top to his Demon. Thanks for information in advance KB9GIB

-
Back