Additional parts needed for 77 Volare disc brakes conversion to 70 Dart Kelsey Hayes disc. ??

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 77 Volare complete front discs set up that I want to swap to my 70 Dart with Kelsey Hayes disc.
Ive read up on it here. What additional parts will I need to make the conversion? Are parts for the Volare discs readily available ?
Will mods need to be made ?

I am confused. If you have a complete kit, then what would you need? What do you have? Pictures are worth 1000 words, they can be your friend here. Does your 70 dart already have disks and you want to swap to a later style BBP disk?

I am confused. If you have a complete kit, then what would you need? What do you have? Pictures are worth 1000 words, they can be your friend here. Does your 70 dart already have disks and you want to swap to a later style BBP disk?
Thank you for your response
Complete 77 Volare disc set up.
I was hoping someone who had actually done the swap would chime
in

I've swapped my 68 front drum brake dart to brakes from a 73 duster, and caliper brackets and rotors from a late 70s Monaco. I gained BBP brakes and the large 11.75" rotors.
I needed new upper control arms for the large ball joint (I had stock style that needed rebuilding but decided to go with QA1 tubular) The obvious parts (which I'm assuming you have but dont know what you have) Knuckles, rotors, calipers, flexible brake lines, caliper brackets, lower ball joints
When I was down there I replaced both the pitman arm and idler arm as well because you've already done half the work by the time you disconnect the knuckles. As well as rebuild my lower control arms. I did the additional and completely optional step of welding reinforcement plates to the bottom of the lower control arms for peace of mind.
Since you're going from disk to disk, you shouldn't NEED to change out any other contributing parts if they were all functioning well (master cylinder, distribution block, lines, etc...)

+1 to consider the mustang rotors that @hemi71x recommended. Unless you daily drive the dart, you won't need to custom machine many rotors for the rest of the life of the car. It keeps mostly original parts and would be the way I would have gone if my car had come with original Kelsey hayes disks. Performance wise they're going to be very very similar.

Your inner wheel bearings are different sizes. I'd swap in new along with new rotors while doing the swap. Unless the original Volaré parts, including rotors, are very nice, replacing bearings and races with the rotors makes good sense.

-
Back